Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External insulation & window upgrade - advice and recommendations

Options
  • 18-08-2020 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

I am looking into fitting external insulation and upgrading windows to an end of terrace solid concrete/pebble dashed former 2up/2 down plus kitchen extension council house. I have a few questions and am looking for recommendations - have you done any of this - if yes, how and who with - have you had any problems - if yes, what type (who to avoid) - please pm me.
    • I read that fitting the windows at the same time is the best thing to do as they can be moved forward to avoid cold bridging. - Has anyone done this and if yes how did you coordinate the work?
    • I also read that rock wool is best for pebble dash as it doesn't need prior surface work. - is this indeed the case, or are there alternatives?
    • I also read that any gullies too close to the house, as well as gas meter boxes etc will have to be moved, and this might add extra cost and time (e.g. gas meter need bord gais to move it) - I have all of these situations - does anyone have experience with how this worked out?
    • Concerning the moving of downpipes, wastepipes etc. - I probably need a lot of them moved, at least one goes into the ground directly - will the contractors deal with this or do I need a builder as well?
    • Is there anything else I need to consider (I'm aware of SEAI grant, and NSAI list of approved contractors)?
    • I also want to get the attic insulated, so might get this done at the same time also - so any wisdom on this would also be welcome.

Obviously I don't want to spend a fortune, but I also want a proper job done, and given all the work that will need to be carried out I want to make sure I go with a reputable company, so would appreciate recommendations from anyone who has had it done - and approximate cost. I'm Dublin southside.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I read that fitting the windows at the same time is the best thing to do as they can be moved forward to avoid cold bridging. - Has anyone done this and if yes how did you coordinate the work?
    Yes it's best to get new windows and have them moved out. Ideally you need to break off or back the existing window cill and then you have something to support the window. You can use timber or a steel angle but Compacfoam or similar is a better solution. https://www.partel.ie/product/55/5/compacfoam
    You'll need to talk to the external insulation people. They might break off the cill and then fit the support for the window. Then the window people can come later, remove the old window and fit the new one further out. Get them to tape the window correctly with airtight tape and DPC's. The external insulation people will then return to finish.
    I also read that rock wool is best for pebble dash as it doesn't need prior surface work. - is this indeed the case, or are there alternatives?
    Personally I'd probably get a layer of plaster done to create a smooth layer for the insulation. Whatever you do, you don't want voids behind the insulation.
    I also read that any gullies too close to the house, as well as gas meter boxes etc will have to be moved, and this might add extra cost and time (e.g. gas meter need bord gais to move it) - I have all of these situations - does anyone have experience with how this worked out?
    You've two ways of doing the base. The best job is to did out the footpaths and a trench around the house. This will allow the external insulation to continue down below the ground level. Most of the external insulation just stops at the footpath which is cheaper and a lot easier. When digging this trench it's then easier to relocate the gullies. The ESB box is just extended out. Very easily done and no need to contact the ESB. I presume it's the same for the gas but don't know for certain as none of the projects I've worked on have had gas.
    Concerning the moving of downpipes, wastepipes etc. - I probably need a lot of them moved, at least one goes into the ground directly - will the contractors deal with this or do I need a builder as well?
    The external insulation people will move them but if you want the better job of the trench around the house done to extend the insulation down you'll probably need a builder who'll did the trench and also reinstate the footpaths, soil, etc.
    Is there anything else I need to consider (I'm aware of SEAI grant, and NSAI list of approved contractors)?
    How big of a roof soffit do you have? They'll most likely just stop at the underside of the soffit but a better and more expensive job is to temporarily remove this and have the insulation continue up to the wall plate and connect with the insulation in the attic. This removes the cold bridge but it's expensive and a lot of work. The other point is the cost of external insulation is mostly labour, plastering, scaffolding, etc. The cost of the insulation isn't exactly massive in the general overall cost. I'd consider getting 150mm or 200mm of insulation thickness rather than 100mm which is what most get as that's the minimum for the grant.
    I also want to get the attic insulated, so might get this done at the same time also - so any wisdom on this would also be welcome.
    The attic should be done. If you don't do the attic insulation all the heat the external insulation saves will just go out through the roof. The grant for the attic insulation is tiny and not worth it. Personally I think this is an easy DIY job and one way you could save money. It doesn't have to be exactly the same time and can be fitted before or after the external insulation so you can do it whenever you've time. An attic can be very hot in winter and very cold in winter so Autumn and Spring are the best time if it's a DIY job. You could do this over the next few months and save money in heating this winter.

Advertisement