Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to tell a Contractor they didn't get the job?

Options
  • 17-08-2020 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Anyone have a good way of telling a contractor that you are going with someone else?
    I feel like I'm preparing to break up with someone.

"I've found someone else..."
    "It's not you, its me..."
    "I'm not ready for such a serious commitment right now.."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Anyone have a good way of telling a contractor that you are going with someone else?
    I feel like I'm preparing to break up with someone.

"I've found someone else..."
    "It's not you, its me..."
    "I'm not ready for such a serious commitment right now.."

Depends on the reason your dumping them . How you found someone better or cheaper or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It's never easy breaking up.

You could just forget about that someone else and stay together that way you would not have to tell them or have the break up. There you ho I just solved your problem for you. Just stay with your current contractor unless this new one is significantly cheaper or the other one was unreliable. Why go through a breakup at all. Alternatively you could keep both on somehow.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,383 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You've been unsuccessful with your tender

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Just be firm and polite about it and move on.

You’ve considered all the available options, you’ve consulted with your engineer/architect and you’ve decided on this occasion to give the tender to someone else. Thanks for interest, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Firstly OP make sure to keep it professional, however friendly you may be with the contractor, do it by letter rather than phone call or e-mail, personally I always send by registered post.
    Thank them for the bid and include the date it was submitted.
    Let them know the reason the bid has been rejected (price, lack of experience etc.)
    If there's a possibility of working with them in the future then include that in the letter
    Finally sign it! You would be surprised the number of business letters that go out with just the sender's name on the bottom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Good advice above. Just be polite - any contractor worth his/her salt deals has dealt with this many times before. Most are also quite busy so will be moving on to the next tender/project without a backwards glace.

I do this a lot and have only encountered two or three contractors in my career who have been unmannerly in return - one was a right pr!ck - to be fair to the others they were disappointed they didn't get the job so were a little bit moany.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Calvin001

If you have been fair with them (and not used them for a price to check someone else) and you have done the proper due-diligence on all prices, then just tell them where they came in the order (went out to 4 guys, and you were 3rd!, 10k off the lowest), what part of their price was high or what part you didn't like in their price.

If they start promising you they can reduce this or change that, just tell they you will consider that if you find you cannot proceed with the first guy your going to talk to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

sydthebeat wrote: »
    You've been unsuccessful with your tender

"....enclose a bigger envelope next time." Liam Lawlor school of economics

• Registered Users Posts: 39 stresshead101

Car99 wrote: »
    Depends on the reason your dumping them . How you found someone better or cheaper or both?

Tbh we had someone lined up, on personal recommendation, but he put us off for two weeks and then on the third, he hit us with a "I'm going away now for two weeks so I'll get on it when I'm back".
    I don't have time for that behaviour. Who knows when he will contact us after his holiday (and what if he has to self isolate..?).

So I contacted a few people, left messages, etc.
    These two (both new) got back to me so quickly and both have great ideas so I'm seeing them through. It'll just be a matter of picking one over the other because skill/quality wise they are both equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They'll realise all by themselves next time they drive by and see the work going on.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    It's never easy breaking up.

You could just forget about that someone else and stay together that way you would not have to tell them or have the break up. There you ho I just solved your problem for you. Just stay with your current contractor unless this new one is significantly cheaper or the other one was unreliable. Why go through a breakup at all. Alternatively you could keep both on somehow.

Unfortunately keeping both isn't an option because relatively speaking its a small enough job, about a weeks worth of work at most.

Really, we have to just pick between two who arrived on the scene at the same time. One or two dates but its getting serious now and we have to choose :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

One or two dates but its getting serious now and we have to choose :P

Which one is likely to get down to the job quicker?

Which one has the more expensive tastes?

Firstly OP make sure to keep it professional, however friendly you may be with the contractor, do it by letter rather than phone call or e-mail, personally I always send by registered post.
    Thank them for the bid and include the date it was submitted.
    Let them know the reason the bid has been rejected (price, lack of experience etc.)
    If there's a possibility of working with them in the future then include that in the letter
    Finally sign it! You would be surprised the number of business letters that go out with just the sender's name on the bottom

Thanks! I think it's a small enough job anyway so a phone call would probably be sufficient. But thats good advice for any future works! I think Ive always been a bit hesitant about getting loads of quotes because I don't know a good way to pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Unfortunately keeping both isn't an option because relatively speaking its a small enough job, about a weeks worth of work at most.

Really, we have to just pick between two who arrived on the scene at the same time. One or two dates but its getting serious now and we have to choose :P

Firstly you don't do anything before you know the job is going ahead with the person you decided to go with. Confirm first with them. First contractor can be told that you couldn't wait that long and you found someone else. Whoever else is not chosen you just let them know that you are not going with them. If they ask you for a reason you can tell them why or you can say it was close but the decision is final.

They are more used of this as you are and they know it's part of the job. Sending letters is complete waste of time. They might be quoting other jobs and it's better to know over the phone asap (many would out of office and don't check emails as often) and not waiting for snail mail to arrive. What you don't do is use one persons designs and give them to another contractor to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

A one week job , you wont be top of any ones priority list . The quickest person you'll get on site might be the one you're breaking up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

They'll realise all by themselves next time they drive by and see the work going on.

^The cowardly way about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

kevcos wrote: »
    ^The cowardly way about it.

Exactly. A disgraceful way to treat anyone. Look at all the time , mo ey and effort that person has given you and you just ignore it. . Trust me when I say this , that isn't forgotton

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Exactly. A disgraceful way to treat anyone. Look at all the time , mo ey and effort that person has given you and you just ignore it. . Trust me when I say this , that isn't forgotton

Sounds like the contractor has put zero time or effort in, hence the seeing other people.

OP for a week's work, give them a shout. Thanks for the time, have another fella lined up for Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Sounds like the contractor has put zero time or effort in, hence the seeing other people.

OP for a week's work, give them a shout. Thanks for the time, have another fella lined up for Monday.

Whee does it say that there was no time ir effort put in. . Surely there has been discussions on the job, site visits, material quantities worked out and ordered
    All I see is that the contractor wasnt there for 2 weeks and then is not going to be there for 2 more weeks. A pita an inconvenience but we are in the middle of a pandemic and every trades is mental busy trying to catch up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

He "Put them back for 2 weeks then on the 3rd announced he was off on 2 weeks holiday"
    No use to a customer
    If he knew he was unavailable for 5 weeks he could have told them the truth day 1 and cut the misunderstanding on both sides.
    Some be more than happy to wait others not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Had to do this a couple of times. Generally then are fine about it. I had one electrician who got abusive and a plaster who couldn’t have been nicer and thanked me for letting him know.

Advertisement