Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black marks on the wooden door

Options
  • 17-08-2020 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Hi
    Any idea how to get rid of these black marks? I tried mould removal spray but not luck.
    Have tried painting over it but I think my painting technique is not correct.
    I’m not sure if the paint colour exactly and I didn’t remove all paint with sandpaper etc. !
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

I would try wd40 and a magic sponge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

:confused: how is that floor, when its picture of the doors, seems more like dirt rubber marks tbf. once you say you painted what exactly you pain it with.

as seems its varnish applied, if it didnt come off with likes of CIF and some elbow grease, then next step would be to get some 50grit sandpaper, remove that metal hinge anything else that can be unscrewed and rip off any varnish wood until its bare clean wood and then stain/ lacquer fresh entire doors, doing only part would be hit and miss even if you had correct color in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

Nicknamed wrote: »
    Hi
    Any idea how to get rid of these black marks? I tried mould removal spray but not luck.
    Have tried painting over it but I think my painting technique is not correct.
    I’m not sure if the paint colour exactly and I didn’t remove all paint with sandpaper etc. !
    Many thanks

That's mildew, you wont get it off with any cleaner stuff. Sand it down with an electric sander and re varnish. It can go quite deep but should be much improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭jack of all

Sand back to remove the finish and then treat the affected area with HG mould remover to kill off any remaining mildew. Allow to dry before a final sand, then refinish.

Advertisement