Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bontrager tlr wheels 32h spoke problems

Options
  • 16-08-2020 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

hi experts,
    I have a issue recently with popping spokes,
    Have 3 go on separates rides flat surfaces going straight. This is rear wheel issue.

I need to either upgrade to stronger spokes and have no idea what type this wheel can take or will.it even solve the problem
    Or a new back wheel .

Any advice would be great

Thanks a million

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭saccades

What's the bike, bontrager TLR is their tubeless rim but it's across several size ranges?

With the rim size we can advise on a replacement in your price range (which is?).

To be honest, at three spokes I've always either had the wheel rebuilt if the rim/hub is in good nick or bought new. If it's a cheapish rim it's cheaper to get a replacement than pay for a rebuild (spokes and build time). Pretty sure most will agree that once a wheel starts to snap spokes then all the others are stressed "taking up the slack" and compromised.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

saccades wrote: »
    What's the bike, bontrager TLR is their tubeless rim but it's across several size ranges?

With the rim size we can advise on a replacement in your price range (which is?).

Hi its a 700c that came standard with 2019 trek fx3 disc. Dont think its tubeless ?

Budget would be as cheap as possible as it will be a temp measure.

Thanks for your time

Hi its a 700c that came standard with 2019 trek fx3 disc. Dont think its tubeless ?

Budget would be as cheap as possible as it will be a temp measure.

Thanks for your time

No worries.

TLR is tubeless ready, just needs taping, gunk and a compatible tyre.

I presume it's the rear?

If you want the cheapest, short term fix, decide on replacing a spoke (as I said, they are probably all compromised) or get a rebuild. Good spokes are about a quid, then 30 to 45mins build time.

A new wheel is probably an additional 20 quid, although an decent bike shop might have something that is cheaper available to them. A properly built disc wheel should last ages though.

Another avenue depending on the age of the bike is asking Trek if this wheel life is acceptable? They will probably say "yes", but they have probably the best customer service of all if the big bike brands. If the first fix was when it was quite new it would suggest a ropey wheelbuild from the factory which might give you a chance. Be nice though, their warranty guy is very human.

No worries.

TLR is tubeless ready, just needs taping, gunk and a compatible tyre.

I presume it's the rear?

If you want the cheapest, short term fix, decide on replacing a spoke (as I said, they are probably all compromised) or get a rebuild. Good spokes are about a quid, then 30 to 45mins build time.

A new wheel is probably an additional 20 quid, although an decent bike shop might have something that is cheaper available to them. A properly built disc wheel should last ages though.

Another avenue depending on the age of the bike is asking Trek if this wheel life is acceptable? They will probably say "yes", but they have probably the best customer service of all if the big bike brands. If the first fix was when it was quite new it would suggest a ropey wheelbuild from the factory which might give you a chance. Be nice though, their warranty guy is very human.

I think the warranty won't cover it, I am a heavy rider and that will be used against me i think. Bike is about 14 months old .. i might so talk to them.

Would a rebuild with some think like

dt swiss Alpine III spokes strengthen the wheel above stock spokes ? And how to know what will fit the rim

I dont want to be spending 15 a week replacing a spoke ðŸ™႒

Does increasing the width of the tyre help with load distribution ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Sorry to butt in, but I have last years FX3 disc model, 2020, and I have had constant spoke issues too.

The rear wheel had to be replaced after 3 different incidents of spokes breaking.

The new wheel now has had another spoke break on it.

Only a year old bike. Not too heavy usage, always on Greenways and the odd paved road... Bizarre. Worth getting onto trek?

• Advertisement

I think the warranty won't cover it, I am a heavy rider and that will be used against me i think. Bike is about 14 months old .. i might so talk to them.

Would a rebuild with some think like

dt swiss Alpine III spokes strengthen the wheel above stock spokes ? And how to know what will fit the rim

I dont want to be spending 15 a week replacing a spoke ðŸ™႒

Does increasing the width of the tyre help with load distribution ?

A lot more focused now. The wheel you have, has multiple damaged spokes, stressed beyond their tolerence so you need to replace all the spokes. Good components are important but the build more so. So yes, those spokes would be better than the stock but pretty much any spoke will be better. With a rebuild you just measure the current spokes to know which length for the right and left side of the hub. There are spoke calculators (dt Swiss one was ace until they took all the non dtswiss rims and hubs off it) for building from scratch.

Tyre widths have little to do with weight distribution on the wheel, the same spokes will still be in tension.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

FWIW, i paid 30 quid a few years ago to have a wheel rebuilt in my local bike shop, which obviously included replacing all spokes. 24 spoke wheel, i think it was.

FWIW, i paid 30 quid a few years ago to have a wheel rebuilt in my local bike shop, which obviously included replacing all spokes. 24 spoke wheel, i think it was.

30 quid ? Wow, can you pm name of the shop.

I paid 15 for 1 last week.

I qill look at getting the wheel rebuilt for sure 32 spokes with decent quality parts should be enough for gentle commutes i hope

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it was humphries in finglas. they charge 15 quid for one spoke too - i think that's their minimum fee to do something which isn't trivial. they may operate a similar pricing structure in your LBS.

the wheel had started snapping spokes (it was about 12 years old and i think they were just fatigued) but the wheel itself was true, so was not a complex fix i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Bontrager alloy rimmed wheels have a two year warranty.
    https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bontrager/guarantee/

Their carbon wheels have a lifetime warranty for the original owner.

• Advertisement

A lot more focused now. The wheel you have, has multiple damaged spokes, stressed beyond their tolerence so you need to replace all the spokes. Good components are important but the build more so. So yes, those spokes would be better than the stock but pretty much any spoke will be better. With a rebuild you just measure the current spokes to know which length for the right and left side of the hub. There are spoke calculators (dt Swiss one was ace until they took all the non dtswiss rims and hubs off it) for building from scratch.

Tyre widths have little to do with weight distribution on the wheel, the same spokes will still be in tension.

thanks for that, i will take to my bike shop and see what spokes they can offer me, not going to attempt this at truing a wheel is an art

it was humphries in finglas. they charge 15 quid for one spoke too - i think that's their minimum fee to do something which isn't trivial. they may operate a similar pricing structure in your LBS.

the wheel had started snapping spokes (it was about 12 years old and i think they were just fatigued) but the wheel itself was true, so was not a complex fix i guess.

they are not too far from me i will call in and see what they say

thank you

thanks for that, i will take to my bike shop and see what spokes they can offer me, not going to attempt this at truing a wheel is an art
    as per the post above this, your wheels are still in warranty - probably worth going where you bought it in the first place.

gaffmaster wrote: »
    Bontrager alloy rimmed wheels have a two year warranty.
    https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bontrager/guarantee/

Their carbon wheels have a lifetime warranty for the original owner.

interesting, thanks for that

as per the post above this, your wheels are still in warranty - probably worth going where you bought it in the first place.

i will give penny farthing a call so.

Advertisement