Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House build

Options
  • 16-08-2020 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

At what stage would you expect your house to be at a year after breaking ground going with a contractor and not doing self build? There shouldn't be much left to do after a year going with contractor would i be correct in saying?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’d expect to be in a Couple of months by that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Gumbo wrote: »
    I’d expect to be in a Couple of months by that stage.

So we would be saying October at the latest?

I have a builder who started on August last year 2019. The house still isnt finished plastering inside and out. First fix wiring is done no plumbing complete or heating system installed no outside guttering done etc.

Besides covid they have been missing regularly anything from 2 to 5 weeks gaps within the year. No tiling, kitchen, doors installed or anything else done inside as the plastering isn't finished. I am frustrated with my builder as its going on far too long now.

Roofing and plastering has taken 6 months and is still ongoing at present which i thought should be done much quicker for a contractor. I could understand it being slower with self build but not with contractor. I have paid the contractor alot more than if i was doing it self build so that's the frustrating part with little progress for the money spent. I have paid for everything to date that is complete by the builder.

Should more pressure be put on the contractor to finish up? I dont like arguing if work is being done and done correctly but its not consistent here.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Absolutely more pressure should be put on him.

Id be seriously worried this contractor, in the current climate, is having financial difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Sounds very frustrating. I started (also with a contractor) around same timeframe as you. I moved in about 6 weeks ago. Not bad going I feel, considering the Covid situation. Still some finishing bits and pieces to do but nothing significant. Dealing with tradesmen can be horrifically frustrating. The trouble is, they take on a lot of work simultaneously, hence why you perceive that they “go missing” for days / weeks on end. Basically, some other job has come up, someone else is shouting louder than you. You need to put a squeeze on the contractor, ask him what’s going on, insist you really want to be in by date X.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Sounds very frustrating. I started (also with a contractor) around same timeframe as you. I moved in about 6 weeks ago. Not bad going I feel, considering the Covid situation. Still some finishing bits and pieces to do but nothing significant. Dealing with tradesmen can be horrifically frustrating. The trouble is, they take on a lot of work simultaneously, hence why you perceive that they “go missing” for days / weeks on end. Basically, some other job has come up, someone else is shouting louder than you. You need to put a squeeze on the contractor, ask him what’s going on, insist you really want to be in by date X.

I went with contractor because i thought the build would be done quicker than self build. The way my build is going, i think i would be as quick with self build as i be in control of the organising. I wouldnt be in control of everything but it would be a lot cheaper. You got in to your house in good time and i had expected that too when signing the contract.

Have i any rights here with this. If im not in at specific date that they said, can i refuse to pay something out of the final payment? I am only askimg because this has caused me and my wife alot of stress throughout the year.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Absolutely more pressure should be put on him.

Id be seriously worried this contractor, in the current climate, is having financial difficulties.

The slow progress is the biggest problem we have. A house isn't cheap but we thought by going with contractor we be in to it alot quicker than what we are putting up with now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

teednab-el wrote: »
    At what stage would you expect your house to be at a year after breaking ground going with a contractor and not doing self build? There shouldn't be much left to do after a year going with contractor would i be correct in saying?

You talk about ‘rights’ in your last post. What form of contract is in place? And who is the administrator?

BryanF wrote: »

You talk about ‘rights’ in your last post. What form of contract is in place? And who is the administrator?

Build to be complete approx 12 months from start date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Just started a build with a main main contractor using the RIAI yellow form and I have an agreed 12 month build schedule. If he goes over this he pays me €500/week ;)

That is turn key finish also.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

The way my build is going i be doing well to be in on time for xmas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement