Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to wall screws?

Options
  • 16-08-2020 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭

I picked up a set of automatic roller blind motors which will need to be mounted on the wall beside each roller blind using screws but I'd rather not drill the walls.

Are 3M strips worth considering, or alternatives?

P.S. Yes I know you can fill in holes if you want to remove the screws later, but I want to go without drilling wall if possible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Number plate tape?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

actually I read a bit more and I think the command strip method might be better as it apparently doesn't pull off paint (the walls are painted), but I can only seem to find command strips that have hooks built in.

Is there a version of command strips that has velcro or similar? Couldn't seem to find one on Amazon apart from the type that sticks to walls and pulls off paint

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VELCRO-Brand-Fasteners-Perfect-Office/dp/B0013DO888/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

what kind of torque will they apply to the blinds.
    I would be concerned about them coming off and hitting someone

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

what kind of torque will they apply to the blinds.
    I would be concerned about them coming off and hitting someone

There's no risk of hitting anyone as they roller blinds are in an inaccessible area (hence the reason for the automatic roller).

Not sure about the force required but I'd say it's well within the weight of a picture frame as you can imagine the sort of pull required to move a roller blind.

i.e. not very much, but sufficient enough to keep cord straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 anneperkins

You can get the Command Strips without hooks in B&Q, Woodies, The Range, Homebase

• Advertisement

You can get the Command Strips without hooks in B&Q, Woodies, The Range, Homebase

cool.. I assumed all Command Strips had hooks

but I guess these seem to be an option too...

https://www.amazon.com/Command-Picture-Decorate-Damage-Free-PH206-14NA/dp/B073XR4X72

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I would drill the holes. Even if you are confident in the strength of the sticky pads, you are then relying on the strength of a layer of paint to hold your blinds up.

I am not sure what the tenslile strength of a few microns of matt emulsion would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 anneperkins

Yep they are the ones. Use the largest ones you can and as many as you can (they're pretty expensive for bits of plastic) given the width of the blind/roller

Ger Roe wrote: »
    I would drill the holes. Even if you are confident in the strength of the sticky pads, you are then relying on the strength of a layer of paint to hold your blinds up.

I am not sure what the tenslile strength of a few microns of matt emulsion would be.

I'm not holding up blinds.

I'm holding up a roller blind motor

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YL4ZL5S/

actually I see this in the description...
    Either install with super sticky 3M tape or 2 Screws

so I guess that settles it as command strips would be stronger than 3M tape

Advertisement