Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Composite decking on sand?

Options
  • 16-08-2020 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Just wondering can you put composite decking directly on sand?

I have dull grey paving slabs outside the back door on a small square patio and wanted to lift them up and replace them, or wondering can I put down composite decking boards down on the sand that's under the current slabs?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Barney224 wrote: »
    Just wondering can you put composite decking directly on sand?

I have dull grey paving slabs outside the back door on a small square patio and wanted to lift them up and replace them, or wondering can I put down composite decking boards down on the sand that's under the current slabs?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mountainrescue

As above this is not possible . All decking boards need some sort of frame to be screwed down to. This could be timber or plastic joists.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Barney224

OK thanks for the info.

Would this be the same for the deck tiles that click together? https://www.woodies.ie/composite-decking-charcoal-2-2m-1159888

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

OK thanks for the info.

Would this be the same for the deck tiles that click together? https://www.woodies.ie/composite-decking-charcoal-2-2m-1159888

Same thing. They connect to an upstanding system which in turn is secured to solid ground below.

You have 2 options.
    1. Pour a concrete slab.
    2. Lay a timber frame similar to timber decking.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Have you Considered just power-washing the Slabs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Interested in this. Can someone tell me if it is possible to install composite decking on top of existing brick patio?

I understand a framework is required to attach the decking, but can that be attached to the existing bricks?

BryanF wrote: »
    Have you Considered just power-washing the Slabs?

Yes, did it a few years ago. Not much difference as they're plain grey slabs.....really dull and boring to look at.

Interested in this. Can someone tell me if it is possible to install composite decking on top of existing brick patio?

I understand a framework is required to attach the decking, but can that be attached to the existing bricks?

In this video they just seem to place the composite decking directly on top of existing paving.

In this video they just seem to place the composite decking directly on top of existing paving.

Wow, that is exactly what I want to do. The bricks in the video are exactly the same as what I've got out the back, but the weeds coming through the joints are killing me!

Maybe OP could do the same.

Thanks for the link.

Wow, that is exactly what I want to do. The bricks in the video are exactly the same as what I've got out the back, but the weeds coming through the joints are killing me!

Maybe OP could do the same.

Thanks for the link.

No worries. I wouldn't be able to do the same on top of the slabs I have because the back door would be blocked and wouldn't open. there's only a few mm between the underneath of the door and the patio.

• Advertisement

No worries. I wouldn't be able to do the same on top of the slabs I have because the back door would be blocked and wouldn't open. there's only a few mm between the underneath of the door and the patio.

Luckily there is a step down so I'd have plenty of leeway. Now just have to find a place that sells the interlocking decking!

Cheered me up on a glum day to know it can be done. Made my day!

My neighbour is a chippy and would help out with cutting down awkward joins. I'm useless at DIY sorry to say.

Luckily there is a step down so I'd have plenty of leeway. Now just have to find a place that sells the interlocking decking!

Cheered me up on a glum day to know it can be done. Made my day!

My neighbour is a chippy and would help out with cutting down awkward joins. I'm useless at DIY sorry to say.

I saw them on sale in Woodies. https://www.woodies.ie/composite-decking-charcoal-2-2m-1159888

Thanks, I hope you get your own issue sorted. I have no answers for you as I am useless at these things, but hopefully someone will find you a solution.

Advertisement