Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move to Sligo

Options
  • 16-08-2020 7:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

If working in Finisklin, which areas should we be looking for a house to buy? We've 2 kids under 7 so would like to be close to decent primary school, while being max 30 minute drive from Finisklin.
    We don't know Sligo very well at all but are big fans of Rosses Point and Strandhill. Seems a handy drive from Strandhill into Sligo town but is that just because its summer?

I've been looking at my home.ie for detached houses in Sligo and there doesn't seem to be many at the moment. Possibly due to coronavirus or is it difficult to find normally?

Would really appreciate advice from locals. Important for us: within 30 minutes drive to work; good primary school; within 30 minutes of beaches; family friendly community for kids to feel welcome to join activities...
    Aiming for better quality of life really as currently have a 3 hour commute each day and can't keep doing it forever. Would getting a site and building here be out of the question when we're not from Sligo?

Comments

Quite a few areas to consider. The drive from Strandhill to Finisklin is standard 10 mins either way. The morning school run is a bit longer, but if you are on the road by 8:10am there is little traffic.

The new link road into Finiskiln should make the drive quicker from Ballisodare direction.

If I'd suggest one to start off with it would be Ballisodare. And if you can afford Strandhill or Rosses, def go for it.

Good luck with the move.

Link to recent thread hopefully working, if not, search "buying house" in the Sligo section.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108597099

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

From a simple rush hour traffic point of view, if working in Finisklin, approach from south of the river and avoid the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

we live in the village of coolaney...say 25 min drive to finisklin *

its a small village, population 1000 but only one shop + few pubs, butchers, french restaurant, chinese takeaway, saturday sheep mart, chemist, doctors, church...one main street.
    the village has some great picturesque walks, a river walk, a very large park....and numerous walks leading into ox mountains with great scenery.
    we think its a great, and safe, place to raise kids.

superb dunmoran beach...very large and open....which we drive to from the village in 12-15 minutes.

property here is as low...or lower i think (open to correction)...than any other village in that radius of sligo.

*take into account what time your start work in finisklin as the roads all around can be very busy at times....like strandhill road at 9-ish on a school morning can be gridlocked for 20+ minutes....more....with scoil ursula.

Not coolaney anyway! Load of townie scumbags in social housing and a couple of drug related deaths there recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Mullaghmore, Grange, Cliffoney, Ballisodare

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jt69er

Rathcormac, Drumcliffe, Carney, near school,beaches etc & around 10 - 15 mins from Finisklin.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

Thanks all for the advice. Have a lot to look at. Seems to be a good choice of places. For those of you who live in Sligo already I think you're very lucky to have these beaches so close to you. Feels like a different way of life to the more built up grey scenery of Dublin offices etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

To be honest if you want to keep the commute around 30 mins it really shouldn't be a problem from Grange in the north to Ballymote in the south and out to Dromore West, Sligo without road works the traffic is not that bad in comparison to the cities, I have to cross the bridge from south to north and am lucky to have a flexible start so not aiming for 9am which at worst is 30 mins at the most,if you are starting at 8 it wouldn't be anything like that, a few mins to get through with a small tailback around 7:50, if aiming for 9am then yes you will hit 30 mins tailback but for 9:20 you will breeze through at 9:05. The current road works are a mess but as stated once open the journey from the south will be much improved. I am close to Ballymote, If moving to another area of Sligo I wouldn't be taking the traffic into the decision at all and just go for location. Someone mentioned Ballisodare which is a great spot to live and close to everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

MastiffMrs wrote: »
    For those of you who live in Sligo already I think you're very lucky to have these beaches so close to you. Feels like a different way of life to the more built up grey scenery of Dublin offices etc

One thing to remember though...Sligo may have the greener scenery, but when it comes to the skies, they are definitely greyer than those in Dublin. The Northwest can be a pretty damp and dreary spot at times.
    Particularly galling when they tell you on the radio that "the sun is splitting the stones" pretty much everywhere else.

Still wouldn't move to Dublin though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Budget will have a lot to do with where is affordable...Prices vary dramatically. Both Strandhill & Rosses point are expensive above most other areas. Both are very desirable & high demand area's.

Traffic is crazy around the bridge at the moment but won't always be like that. 30 min to Finisklin gives you a very wide commute area. Advise travelling around & getting familiar with the area's & seeing if you want to be in the town itself or surrounding towns. Ballisadare is a good compromise (just out of town, easily accessible & not far from Strandhill (back road).

Just gone up on daft, beside Finisklin, close to primary school & detached, good area. - https://www.daft.ie/sligo/houses-for-sale/sligo/10-clara-court-farmhill-road-sligo-sligo-2686407/

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

BronsonTB wrote: »
    Budget will have a lot to do with where is affordable...Prices vary dramatically. Both Strandhill & Rosses point are expensive above most other areas. Both are very desirable & high demand area's.

Traffic is crazy around the bridge at the moment but won't always be like that. 30 min to Finisklin gives you a very wide commute area. Advise travelling around & getting familiar with the area's & seeing if you want to be in the town itself or surrounding towns. Ballisadare is a good compromise (just out of town, easily accessible & not far from Strandhill (back road).

Just gone up on daft, beside Finisklin, close to primary school & detached, good area. - https://www.daft.ie/sligo/houses-for-sale/sligo/10-clara-court-farmhill-road-sligo-sligo-2686407/

Looks like a good option. Just check that it is oil fired heating as they say not gas as the gas is very expensive as it is piped in from a community tank.

Was trying to see an oil tank in the garden, it could be behind the tree.

I have a feeling Clara Court is electric storage heaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I have a feeling Clara Court is electric storage heaters.
    Doesn't look like it. You can see the rads in the bedrooms.

Possible that there is a tank in the back garden alright, but it could be either oil or gas.

Clara court may have been built in phases with different heating spec. in each phase. I had looked into renting one of those houses a few years back and as I recall the one advertised had storage heaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Just in general Gas is a thing to watch out for. Some of the estates are fed from a centralised gas tank and it is very expensive. Not like the natural gas you might be used to in Dublin. Might not be as much of a problem if you are buying a semi detached / detached house as it may be possible to retrofit a tank and kerosene boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The ad states oil-fired central heating.

There's a timber fence behind the tree in back-left corner of garden. Fairly certain the tank is behind that (based on google maps)

Advertisement