Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bare root Oaks

Options
  • 15-08-2020 10:44pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry, new to forum but i can't let this pass, Oak trees that now have nowhere to go are coming out cheaply from a crowd in enniscorthy, see tweet i've pasted https://twitter.com/RewildingIre/status/1294657417108688896

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

What a waste and the loss to the company involved in growing them. Plenty of birch and alder too I see. My own opinion on planting these now would be that it is a waste of time putting bare root trees down at this time of the year. November onwards I thought is the correct time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

They only ship if your order is over €250

I’ve sent them a message offering to take 200 and pay shipping. See how it goes tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

_Brian wrote: »
    They only ship if your order is over €250

I’ve sent them a message offering to take 200 and pay shipping. See how it goes tomorrow.

Let us know. Tks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

NcdJd wrote: »
    What a waste and the loss to the company involved in growing them. Plenty of birch and alder too I see. My own opinion on planting these now would be that it is a waste of time putting bare root trees down at this time of the year. November onwards I thought is the correct time ?

Trench them for now is the advice I have because yes November is the time.. Pondering getting a courier to move them, check rewildingire on twitter because I'm a complete amateur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Trench them for now is the advice I have because yes November is the time.. Pondering getting a courier to move them, check rewildingire on twitter because I'm a complete amateur

Good idea but I still think you need to make sure the roots don't dry out by giving the area they are threnched in a good soaking.

I only get some bareroots every couple of years so take my ramblings with a pinch of salt. Plenty people on here that have better experience of tree planting/forestry that will offer some definite advice. I just think it's a bit early to be planting bareroots unless you've the time to water them regularly for a few months if we have low rainfall over the coming weeks/ months. But for that price might be worth the risk 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Better giving them a chance and a few quid to the business is my logic. Again I'm a complete amateur just thought it was worth sharing here

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I don't understand why they want to lift them now. It's only 2-3 months till frost will take the leaves off them.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Unfortunately I've learned they are now mulched. I guess the nursery had no way of holding on to them..

Advertisement