Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Explain snooker to me like I'm 5.

Options
  • 15-08-2020 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭

Haven't seen it in years so tell me everything in a dumbed down way please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,409 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

KKkitty wrote: »

Red = 1 point
    Yellow = 2
    Green = 3
    Brown = 4
    Blue = 5
    Pink = 6
    Black = 7

The aim is to pot a red ball followed by a colour followed by a red then a colour and on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Red = 1 point
    Yellow = 2
    Green = 3
    Brown = 4
    Blue = 5
    Pink = 6
    Black = 7

The aim is to pot a red ball followed by a colour followed by a red then a colour and on and on.

Thanks. At one point Ronnie was behind in a frame there today but they kept playing so why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭AllForIt

you put the balls into the pockets with a stick

AllForIt wrote: »
    you put the balls into the pockets with a stick

This is so cue-te.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Thanks. At one point Ronnie was behind in a frame there today but they kept playing so why is that?

Say there's 1 red and all the colours on the table, that's a total of 35 points available (1 red followed by a black and then all the colours), if a player is behind by more than 35 points they'll need their opponent to foul to allow them to win, usually a player will give up if there more than 40 points behind in that scenario (depending on the layout of the colours).

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    Say there's 1 red and all the colours on the table, that's a total of 35 points available (1 red followed by a black and then all the colours), if a player is behind by more than 35 points they'll need their opponent to foul to allow them to win, usually a player will give up if there more than 40 points behind in that scenario (depending on the layout of the colours).

Does it matter what pockets balls are potted in?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Does it matter what pockets balls are potted in?

Nope, you don't have to nominate pockets like in pool either.

Afaik This foul would be called a snooker,hence the name

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

It's a pre-BLM social commentary where the minority whites boss all the coloureds about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

43293c71-58b9-42e6-a0b7-77f235a849e3_text.gif

• Advertisement

Afaik This foul would be called a snooker,hence the name

A snooker is when you can't hit the object ball directly because another ball is in the way, "I was snookered behind the black". A foul doesn't have to be not hitting the ball either, it can be hitting the wrong ball or the white ending up in the pocked or a technical foul like your clothing hitting a ball or taking a shot without having a foot on the ground or loads of other stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

A useful thing when calculating potential scores left on the table is that the reds can be worth 8 points (1 for red and 7 for an accompanying black).

The colours on their own (once all of the reds are potted) are worth 27 (2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7).

Generally fouls are worth 4 points to the opponent but there are, of course, exceptions, where they can be worth more. :)

There are more fun rules (which we would have seen this week, such as free balls and the (sometimes controversial) foul and miss), but I’d say just watch some snooker and research as you go along.

Oh. And good snooker playing IS harder than it looks!!!

SnowyMay wrote: »
    A useful thing when calculating potential scores left on the table is that the reds can be worth 8 points (1 for red and 7 for an accompanying black).

The colours on their own (once all of the reds are potted) are worth 27 (2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7).

Generally fouls are worth 4 points to the opponent but there are, of course, exceptions, where they can be worth more. :)

There are more fun rules (which we would have seen this week, such as free balls and the (sometimes controversial) foul and miss), but I’d say just watch some snooker and research as you go along.

Just to add to this, clearing the colours from their spots is damn ****ing hard and takes years of practise :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Just to add to this, clearing the colours from their spots is damn ****ing hard and takes years of practise :o

Never mind the potting, its the precision positional play that's the stuff of pure wizardry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Well, no sh*t Sherlock, lol!

I don't play but I completely appreciate the skill. Played only once or twice on a proper snooker table and it was exponentially harder than a standard pub pool table to pot a ball. :-) Those tables don't tolerate player imprecision.

jaxxx wrote: »
    Never mind the potting, its the precision positional play that's the stuff of pure wizardry!

Yes. And that’s the mindmelt that you wouldn’t get in chess, where you can actually, really plan ahead.

jaxxx wrote: »

That really is the brilliance of it alright.

I don't play but I completely appreciate the skill. Played only once or twice on a proper snooker table and it was exponentially harder than a standard pub pool table to pot a ball. :-) Those tables don't tolerate player imprecision.

Uh huh.

But you are not 5, I presume.

Uh huh.

But you are not 5, I presume.

Not really. Guess it was just a comment to say even if I don't play snooker I do appreciate the skill and with it being a solo sport with an audience there is tremendous mental pressure.

Snooker and golf, two sports I don't have the time to do myself but the skills and mental toughness at the highest levels are unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

If you visualize the balls as hamsters of different sizes and temperment then it makes a lot more sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yep, we hand a half-size table when I was a kid, played countless frames on it and only cleared the colours once

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mistermiyagi

Pot the reds then, screw back for the yellow, green, brown, blue, pink and black.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Is it pick and stick? Do shots carry?

What does the 35 in brackets mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Best of 35 frames. Meaning first to 18 wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

It means the match is the best of 35 frames.
    That means that the first player to 18 wins.
    The maximum number of frames that could be played is 35...an 18-17 scoreline.

Lundstram wrote: »

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Lundstram wrote: »

So blink and you might miss this evening's 'session'...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Yeah, but it's the distance that makes all the difference. One's inaccuracy is magnified the longer the distance the ball has to travel to the pocket.

Western EU pool table pockets are not actually that forgiving. It you had a 12 foot pool table, the size of a snooker table, you wouldn't find it much easier.

I've seen club snooker tables with huge pockets in comparison. American pool table pockets are huge of course. You can knock then into the pockets by playing to the cushion first deliberately if direct line is obstructed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭weemcd

You play for days, maybe even weeks on end. And then Ronnie O'Sullivan wins.

Advertisement