Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underlying health conditions.

Options
  • 15-08-2020 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Have an underlying health condition which comes under high risk on the hse website, but moderate risk on medmarks risk assessment. Just wondering what additional precautions, if any school management are taken for staff who are high risk returning to school.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

ulsen wrote: »
    Have an underlying health condition which comes under high risk on the hse website, but moderate risk on medmarks risk assessment. Just wondering what additional precautions, if any school management are taken for staff who are high risk returning to school.

None in our place. I wouldn't be surprised if the powers that be told us to sit in our cars! Teachers are last concern. Management are unaffected - they will still in their offices with a closed door letting the rest of us get on with it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Unless you are classed as “ very high risk ,” you are expected to turn up to work . The Medmark “ calculator “ is a very crude tool and doesn’t take co- morbidities into account at all

I have bought 3 reusable masks for each day , colour- coded for each day to allow for laundering and will also be wearing a visor .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Not specific to teaching, but anyone who has a disability that meets the definition in the Equal Status Acts has a legal entitlement to any 'reasonable accommodation' requested of their employer. It's not an easy obligation to enforce, but it does exist in law.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

I’m classified as “very high risk” or at least “high risk” with my heart condition (hypo plastic left heart syndrome) and as a student, I think my school has nothing in place for me specifically. I went in to grab some books from my friends old locker and asked a teacher if he knew what was up, to which his reply was “I have no idea”

What a way to start 6th year, am I right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

TTLF wrote: »
    I’m classified as “very high risk” or at least “high risk” with my heart condition (hypo plastic left heart syndrome) and as a student, I think my school has nothing in place for me specifically. I went in to grab some books from my friends old locker and asked a teacher if he knew what was up, to which his reply was “I have no idea”

What a way to start 6th year, am I right?

It's all a bit of an unknown but the school will have to make accommodations for you whether they like it or not.

Might be a good time to state your concerns now and ask if there will be any plans to keep you in the loop. Essentially that might mean a lot of work for your teachers but so be it, they can't not make special accommodations for you.

In our school the first 'soft' approach is for a parent (or yourself!) to contact the yearhead. Ask what they're considering putting in place for students with underlying conditions. If they are any good they should be making a list now (or maybe Monday morning next week when their head is in the game). Any chance you know any other student you could contact who would have an additional need? The more the better.
    If Yearhead is no go then email / contact principal/deputy/career guidance.

Keep taking and putting class notes in a folder anyway and try to keep up. Don't assume teachers will be giving catch up grinds (although maybe they should).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Treppen wrote: »
    It's all a bit of an unknown but the school will have to make accommodations for you whether they like it or not.

Might be a good time to state your concerns now and ask if there will be any plans to keep you in the loop. Essentially that might mean a lot of work for your teachers but so be it, they can't not make special accommodations for you.

In our school the first 'soft' approach is for a parent (or yourself!) to contact the yearhead. Ask what they're considering putting in place for students with underlying conditions. If they are any good they should be making a list now (or maybe Monday morning next week when their head is in the game). Any chance you know any other student you could contact who would have an additional need? The more the better.
    If Yearhead is no go then email / contact principal/deputy/career guidance.

Keep taking and putting class notes in a folder anyway and try to keep up. Don't assume teachers will be giving catch up grinds (although maybe they should).

Yeah we’re gonna contact my school about it, I have 2 iPads ready to take notes and use an ebook and I’m pretty organised in a sense to know what I need to do, I just hope I’m not in some class with 22 other kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

God help ye teachers.

In a rush to provide a semblance of normality to society kids and teachers are being pushed together in less than ideal conditions.

There’s more worry about getting kids out from under the feet of parents who suddenly discover their little angels are hard work than there is about the potential repercussions.

Education has been given the potentially worst minister if that is possible following the last minister. This was the time for experience and strength in leadership not a minister straight in off the street, I’ve heard her biggest motivator in government is to have abortion and divorce revisited !

I feel if we get through this it will be hard work by teachers and principals rather than the minister.

Advertisement