Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old chainsaw

Options
  • 15-08-2020 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

which these are the best, husky 162 or stihl 038? about the same in power

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

I had an 038, great saw. Loads of power, easy started, very happy with it. Unfortunately i mixed my petrol wrong a while back, and ruined the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭samjames

guy has both and both are going great and good nick, not sure what to choose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

samjames wrote: »
    guy has both and both are going great and good nick, not sure what to choose

Given that choice, it would be the Stihl for me. Great little saw. Nothing wrong with the Husky, just my personal choice.

run both of them long enough for both to get very hot and try to restart them before buying.
    I'd probably be inclined to go for the 038 as you'll find more parts for them on ebay but the Husky was a good saw too.

what is the correct mix for both these saws

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

Charlie Haughey will advise shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

what is the correct mix for both these saws

My 038 was 40:1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I run 40:1 with good quality synthetic oil, Personally I dislike the Husky XP oil but good quality stuff is easy to find, I'm currently running Motul 800 offroad motorcycle oil designed for premix not injectors. The injected oils are thinner.

The saw may have been tuned for a different mix like 25:1 so just be aware of that and the need to retune for the actual mix you are using.

I got oil shot today in plant hire outlet, its low smoke stuff and 50-1 mix

also regarding the stihl 038 saws, you get the ordinary 038, AV and Super but anyone know which is the best pick of them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I got oil shot today in plant hire outlet, its low smoke stuff and 50-1 mix

also regarding the stihl 038 saws, you get the ordinary 038, AV and Super but anyone know which is the best pick of them

AV stands for antivibration, little rubber pads that are supposed to reduce vibrations.
    Super are usually a bigger CC saw than standard.
    I would mix the 100ml of oil with 4 litres of petrol not 5 litres, 40:1 is what is recommended for those saws.
    What brand of oil is it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement