Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is there any site in ireland you can buy full seasons of tv shows to watch online?

Options
  • 14-08-2020 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

i'm running out of tv shows i enjoy on the usual streaming sites and like there's a few places you can do this if you're in america with amazonprime, but doesn't seem to be anywhere you can do that here? youtube has it for movies, but not full tv shows.

does this exist or has it just not been brought to this market yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,417 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

rakuten.tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Netflix
    Amazon Prime TV
    NowTV
    Apple TV
    etc
    etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Why would you want to buy TV shows?

It is possible on Amazon Prime but seems completely pointless. For example, Game of Thrones is available to purchase but each season could cost €20+. You can stream on Now TV for a fraction of the price. I don’t see the benefit in owning them.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

rakuten.tv

Is that a service that actually allows the purchase of tv shows in Ireland?
    All the others mentioned are just streaming services, you can't buy from them.

Like the original poster, I've often wondered if there was anywhere you could actually buy TV shows digitally in Ireland (without having to change the storefront to a different country).
    Google Play, iTunes and Amazon allow you to buy whole seasons or series of shows digitally elsewhere in the world, but for whatever reason Ireland is always excluded as far as TV shows are concerned......

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

H8GHOTI wrote: »

It is possible on Amazon Prime but seems completely pointless. For example, Game of Thrones is available to purchase but each season could cost €20+. You can stream on Now TV for a fraction of the price. I don’t see the benefit in owning them.

People do still buy things that they want to own though. Things disappear off streaming services all the time. Even on Sky/NowTV, they often cycle though their HBO and Showtime content so all of it is not available all of the time. There is usually a ticking clock for how long you get to watch a lot of these shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

And you have to keep paying every month in order to keep streaming them! After a while you'll have paid more in total than the cost of buying them and they could be removed from streaming at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭vafankillar

cos I usually only watch one or two tv series for a few months and netflix sometimes removes shows without much notice a few of the particular shows i want to watch aren't on it.

have you done it on amazon prime cos last time I tried it wasn't available in our region?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭vafankillar

I've often wondered if there was anywhere you could actually buy TV shows digitally in Ireland (without having to change the storefront to a different country).
    Google Play, iTunes and Amazon allow you to buy whole seasons or series of shows digitally elsewhere in the world, but for whatever reason Ireland is always excluded as far as TV shows are concerned......

I wonder if there's something else going on to why, like we're being used as guinea pig to see if it's more profitable for them to simply not have that option and just leave streaming so the cycle of coming and going of shows keeps people interested and subscribed

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I wonder if there's something else going on to why, like we're being used as guinea pig to see if it's more profitable for them to simply not have that option and just leave streaming so the cycle of coming and going of shows keeps people interested and subscribed
    I mean that's no secret - Netflix became a victim of its own success. Studios demanded more and more money to show their TVs show and then it was nearly always a lease. Giving rights forever would be very expensive so the networks weren't interested.
    So instead Netflix takes these other shows still but now makes a lot of their own content and their own content isn't going anywhere and will remain on Netflix, just like a boxed set. Ditto for Prime, Apple, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

have you done it on amazon prime cos last time I tried it wasn't available in our region?

I can see shows available to buy but haven’t tried to purchase. Seems to be mostly HBO shows, ones that Sky show here.

I do have a UK account though. It seems from what everyone is saying, they’re not available on Irish accounts.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Sky offer box sets for sale too. No idea why Apple, Amazon etc have never offered the service here.

Advertisement