Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a BMW 330e from UK - Warranty Question

Options
  • 14-08-2020 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

So I'm looking at getting a BMW 2017 330e from the UK.

I've always liked having the safety net of a warranty when buying a car and was wondering if I bought a 2017 model would it still be covered under the manufacturers warranty and also can that then be applied to Irish BMW dealerships.

If anyone has any experience in doing this before I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

The manufacturer warranty is probably up, but if you buy it from a BMW dealer under their Approved Used Car program, you’ll get a 2 year warranty which also works here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

See this thread over here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058004138&page=7

You can also extend your warranty (at a cost) here: https://www.bmw-warranty.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you buy a BMW from a UK BMW dealer through their Approved Used Car program then only 1 year of the 2 year warranty is valid in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

The manufacturer warranty is probably up, but if you buy it from a BMW dealer under their Approved Used Car program, you’ll get a 2 year warranty which also works here.

BMW UK only provide a 12 month AUC warranty unlike the 2 yr we get here. Bit surprised by this myself when I found out dealing with them in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Panic Stations

Yeah that's my only hesitation about getting one from the UK is the lack of fall back support in case anything goes wrong with the car.

Surely if I was to buy a car from the UK they'd have to knock some money of the asking price seeing as I wouldn't be able to avail of a dealers warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

To be fair your not going to get much better in the way of warranty on any 3 year old car you bring in from the UK. Your doing well getting a 1 year warranty that's valid over here imo. If you want better warranty then be prepared to pay more for the car here from a BMW dealer who will give you a 2 year warranty. You have to factor that into the equation when buying in the UK.

Also no harm in trying but don't expect much in the way of discount from a UK main dealer just because he won't be seeing you again. Remember that it's BMW UK that's covering the warranty both in the UK and Ireland rather than the dealer so the UK dealer has nothing to gain whether you are an Irish buyer or not as he won't be paying for the warranty work either way.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You might well need it too.

Advertisement