Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is There Any Other Game Similar to Toy Soldiers? (Tower Defense)

Options
  • 14-08-2020 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

I hadn't played a PC game in years and specifically put together a machine recently just so I could go back and play this (and the other games in my Steam account). It really just clicks with me. It's perfect to pick up and play a level as it's not deep and time flies. I've bought the Cold War Campaign add-on so am looking to see if there's anything else similar. I did buy Defense Grid which is good crack but is a little bit more tactical. Toy Soldiers isn't and that makes it perfect to play late in the evening. A bonus is the fact that it works with a controller.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,321 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

they did release a sequel of sorts
    https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/toy-soldiers-war-chest/

and the true sequel Toy Soldiers 2 is out next year
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_Studios

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Although quite old Defense Grid:The Awakening is a very good tower defence game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Skerries wrote: »
    they did release a sequel of sorts
    https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/toy-soldiers-war-chest/

and the true sequel Toy Soldiers 2 is out next year
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_Studios

Oh I had forgotten about that. I'm not too sure I'd be bothered with a fantasy game so might leave it. It doesn't appear to be on Steam anyway.

Delighted to hear there's a sequel in the works.

Thanks.

Although quite old Defense Grid:The Awakening is a very good tower defence game.

I have it (and its sequel) and played it quite a bit back in the day. It's a good game alright but I was looking for something that wasn't quite as tactical and was as slow paced as Toy Soldiers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

What about orcs must die and dungeon defenders series of games?
    Their core gameplay revolves around a tower defence style of gameplay but also not fully old school tower defence, you might enjoy them though.

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    What about orcs must die and dungeon defenders series of games?
    Their core gameplay revolves around a tower defence style of gameplay but also not fully old school tower defence, you might enjoy them though.

I've heard of the former, not so the latter. I'd never looked at Orcs Must Die but will look into both. Thanks for the suggestions.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Both Orcs Must Die and Dungeon Defenders are great, but don't get DD 2, it's a microtransaction mess. DD 1 with all the DLC goes on sale fairly often I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I love tower defense type games too...and I do think Defense Grid is probably the best when it comes to pure tower defense.

Another game I like that is in a same kind of theme but a bit more complex is They are Billions. Worth a look.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

not exactly what you're looking for but have a look at Hypercharge Unboxed
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercharge:_Unboxed

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Buttros

I had completely forgotten about Toy Soldiers. Will have to revisit it.

I'm a big fan of Defense Grid (more the second one) which has been mentioned. Sanctum could be worth a look. It's a mix. Place your towers and pick a character your control and fight so its part tower defense part FPS on horde mode.

They are billions is a great game that it would reccomend but a different beast altogether. More a resource gathering base building game like age of empires than a tower defense. Without other bases to attack. Also one I find very difficult. Could be just me.

• Advertisement

Many thanks for all the suggestions so far folks, I'll look into all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,856 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Not what you're after specifically but check out Riftbreaker: Prologue. Demo is out on Steam. Tower Defense/RTS hybrid. The publishers other TD game was X-morph, it's good but very tactical and hectic. Both titles blend TD with a player-controlled hero, sort of like Sanctum and Sanctum 2 in that regard.

I've played the Riftbreaker demo a few different ways and you can take your sweet time completing the objectives if you don't
    take out the hives
    and on a 3rd playthrough I managed to spot the research and tech tree - there's a set of buildings in there for cultivating flora and then harvesting it for use as biofuel energy. KB+M though.

Other TD games: Bloons of course, Warstone TD, and Tower Wars. DG and DG 2 are of course both good, I haven't cleared DG 2. There are other TD games in my library but I can't think of the names off hand, none that especially flagship the genre mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

That looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,856 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    That looks great!

It's really crisp and I've played the demo 3 times now :o once the way they expect you to play, once where I was kicking all the tires and one where I min/maxed the heck out of things. The flamer is VERY satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭KilOit

Overheal wrote: »
    Not what you're after specifically but check out Riftbreaker: Prologue. Demo is out on Steam. Tower Defense/RTS hybrid. The publishers other TD game was X-morph, it's good but very tactical and hectic. Both titles blend TD with a player-controlled hero, sort of like Sanctum and Sanctum 2 in that regard.

I've played the Riftbreaker demo a few different ways and you can take your sweet time completing the objectives if you don't
    take out the hives
    and on a 3rd playthrough I managed to spot the research and tech tree - there's a set of buildings in there for cultivating flora and then harvesting it for use as biofuel energy. KB+M though.

Other TD games: Bloons of course, Warstone TD, and Tower Wars. DG and DG 2 are of course both good, I haven't cleared DG 2. There are other TD games in my library but I can't think of the names off hand, none that especially flagship the genre mind.

That looks class! poured a good 100 hours into they are billions and love the look of this, never even heard of it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I love turtling in games, is that the correct term? as in siting back making a base full of weapons etc to kill any would be attackers.
    This looks like such a game,, is they are billions a "turtling" game ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭KilOit

I love turtling in games, is that the correct term? as in siting back making a base full of weapons etc to kill any would be attackers.

You'll love it then. You build a base like c&c and have a set amount of days to fortify it before a final wave of 1000's of zombies rush you. Its difficult but rewarding when you pull it off.
    Never played the campaign but beat all maps

Overheal wrote: »

take out the hives

Thanks Chief,

I've added that to my wishlist on Steam. Ideally though I'm looking for something that's not at all taxing on the grey matter. Something I can just turn on, not have to think too hard about strategy and just enjoy.

I think Toy Soldiers is pretty unique in that area. It's a lot of fun but not overly taxing in standard mode.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yes, They are Billions would emphasise turtling; though it is advised you build up a base then go exploring between the waves of Zombies that attack in increasingly large numbers - so it's you can't completely sit back. Primarily though its loop is built around a static base that needs to withstand said waves, while juggling power / resources. Worth a look for sure.

Buttros wrote: »
    I had completely forgotten about Toy Soldiers. Will have to revisit it.

I'm a big fan of Defense Grid (more the second one) which has been mentioned. Sanctum could be worth a look. It's a mix. Place your towers and pick a character your control and fight so its part tower defense part FPS on horde mode.

They are billions is a great game that it would reccomend but a different beast altogether. More a resource gathering base building game like age of empires than a tower defense. Without other bases to attack. Also one I find very difficult. Could be just me.

Picked up both 1 and 2 yesterday as they were on sale. Looking forward now to giving them a go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement