Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septic tank pump float failing

Options
  • 14-08-2020 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭

A fewof days ago, we re-routed the outflow from our septic tank to the drain field, using a new connection. We turned off the power to the pump and aerator, hooked up the pipes in the lawn (we did not touch anything within the septic tank at all), and turned on the pump. Water flowed fine to the distribution box, but the pump did NOT turn off when the water level got very low - the pump was actually sucking air. I reached into the tank with a long stick, and 'jiggled' the float, which is a round blue disc attached by some sort of tube to the pump. The pump then turned off.

No problems for the next 24 hours.

We then turned off the power to the pump overnight, and let the tank fill in order to record the water coming into the D-box (this we think we need for planning permission.) The pump did not turn on after I restored power. I lightly jiggled the exit pipe that comes out of the pump, the pump turned on and again would not turn off. I turned off power to the pump. We waited a half day and restored power to the pump. I didn't have to do anything to the pump or float and we believe it ran once or twice during the day.

Another 24 hours pass, no problem. A further 24 hours, and the overfill alarm on the tank went off. Again, I 'jiggled' the exit pipe, the pump went on, and pumped the tank dry. This time, pushing on the float did NOT cause the pump to shut off. I turned the power off and that's the state everything is today. I'm hoping that the technicians that replaced the pump 5 years ago after we had moved in can get here 'soon', but they said sometime next week. So, every evening I'm signed up to go out turn on the power, make sure the tank empties, and turn it off.

When it runs, the pump powerfully sends water into the distribution box, so I think the pump is fine. The float, however, doesn't seem to be working right. Can it be replaced separately from the pump? What is the connection between the float & the pump. And, if it can't, is there a different kind of pump that might be more reliable? For example, you can get toilet tank systems that no longer use those large floating balls on a copper arm, instead the 'float' is a collar around the drain pipe. This septic tank pump is similar in concept to the old-style toilet drain, would rather have something more reliable.

Thanks for the time taken to read this lengthy post.

Advertisement