Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a new/used car from dealer

Options
  • 14-08-2020 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Hey! I'll need to buy a new car very soon. Up until now, I've always bought privately with minimal risk - maximum I've spent would have been less than 4k. But I'd like to get something a little more decent now and looking for some current advice from someone with expertise.

I want to go through a dealer this time. If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be much appreciated. I've been considering the following points:

- New / used - I've heard that 3-year old cars offer the best deals because of depreciation. Would that still hold true with current pandemic and all that?

- Hybrid / diesel - I want something that's economical. I drive an average of 30,000 km in the year.

- Make / model - reliability is obviously important. Comforts are also important - seating, sound system, Bluetooth, sensors/wipers/lights/rear view mirror/dashboard/etc.

- Value. Budget is not unlimited, unfortunately.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,431 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Your needs are quite normal. What’s the budget?

jma wrote: »

- Hybrid / diesel - I want something that's economical. I drive an average of 30,000 km in the year...............

An EV may suit or a plug in hybrid if you don't fancy full EV.
    My Dad has a Lexus is300h, 2.5 petrol with a self charging battery....... mid 40s mpg is easily attained in it so not much worse that a diesel really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

What car do you drive now?
    Does it suit your needs and want something similar or do you need more space than you currently have?
    What's your budget? You can pretty much get any type of car for any budget you want, budget will just change age of the car you can attain.

On the 3 year old thing you've heard re:depreciation, that's in relation to new cars depreciating a lot more than 3 year old. Can still be pretty steep though. However, a lot of people think it's the sweet spot and good balance to buy a 3 year old

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭jma

The other thing is that I'm not really sure how much I need or should budget. If I were to budget for a used car, it would be in the region of about 6 - 10k. If I were to go with something in a higher price range, I would get a loan and spread out the payments over 3 -5 years, depending on the amount. Does that make sense?

I currently drive a 2008 Ford Focus saloon, 1.8 diesel. I'm happy enough with it, but I want to upgrade before something goes wrong with it or it starts to turn into a money pit. Fuel consumption is between 7 and 8 L/ 100km. It's not bad but a little lower than that would be good.

jma wrote: »

I currently drive a 2008 Ford Focus saloon, 1.8 diesel. I'm happy enough with it, but I want to upgrade before something goes wrong with it or it starts to turn into a money pit. Fuel consumption is between 7 and 8 L/ 100km. It's not bad but a little lower than that would be good.

That's terrible for a Focus, I better that in a Kia Sorento most of the time.

If you're happy with the thing I#d keep it another while tbh, strange enough times currently, hard to know what's best to spend a decent wad of cash on.

You could spend €6 to €10k on a money pit also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement