Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only owner of the vehicle can take out the insurance?

Options
  • 14-08-2020 7:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I just bought a (non-commercial) car as a brand new (in Ireland) driver, but my gf has 2 years NCB.

In order to bring down the insurance, would it be possible to let her take out the insurance and having me as a named driver? or must it be the owner of the car which is me?

I don't really need NCB for myself as I plan to leave the country in one or two years.

Any advice is appreciated!
    Cheers! Don

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 conorbarrett2

Yes you're right, only the owner of the vehicle can take out insurance. Also the main driver must be the one who drives it the most, and I'm not sure if your girlfriend has another car, but you can only use your no claims bonus on one car.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭ml100

Yes you're right, only the owner of the vehicle can take out insurance. Also the main driver must be the one who drives it the most, and I'm not sure if your girlfriend has another car, but you can only use your no claims bonus on one car.

If your girl friend was your wife she could take out insurance on a car registered in your name as she would have an insurable interest in the car, not much help to you but that's the only reason I can think of where someone who isn't the registered owner can insure a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Having your girlfriend on your insurance as a named driver can also reduce your premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 maddhy

Thanks a mill! Well marriage isn't an option yet :D. She doesn't have a car anymore and we live together, so I guess I will change the ownership to her as the quote on her is 1k less than on me.

Advertisement