Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ventilation solution for garage office

Options
  • 12-08-2020 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm in the process of converting part of my external garage into a home office. It has a 250mm pumped cavity bead insulated walls with triple glaze windows. I'm a bit worried about ventilation, I'm kind of concerned that when I start working in it lack of ventilation may be an issue.

Has anyone done something like this already ? Am i over worry about ventilation ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,031 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I am currently researching this myself so will share my working.

You can run calculations based on occupancy or volume using recommendations for the type of space (e.g. office). The question is then how to achieve that rate of air change. I did this and came up with surprisingly large numbers.

There are various solutions available for single room ventilation. Obvs you can just stick a hole in the wall (or two, if you want cross-ventilation). But you may not get the required number of air changes with any degree of consistency.

I figure that heat recovery has to be be a good idea, so I looked around for single room heat recovery ventilation systems.

There are several factors/choices:

- your wall thickness, and distribution of components between inside, in the wall, and outside
    - combined single inlet/outlet or two pipes

I called up one of the suppliers, had a chat, and they suggested this:

https://www.bpcventilation.ie/vent-axia-tempra-htp/

But I searched for reviews of this product and more broadly of single pipe solutions and became concerned about alleged poor performance under certain atmospheric conditions where there is a pressure difference between inside and outside, so decided to go for a two pipe solution with enough capacity to achieve the required air changes on trickle mode.

This is what I've shortlisted.

https://www.bpcventilation.ie/mitsubishi-v100eu5-e

It has 2 x 75 (mm) spigots so does continuous supply/extract, as opposed to the single pipe solutions which alternate every few seconds, amd this model variant runs off a wall switch so it ought to be possible to integrate it with a smart switch e.g. based on humidity or schedule.

I'd be interested to read the thoughts of more experienced people.

Advertisement