Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Smart Meter Query

Options
  • 12-08-2020 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

Hello folks.

I was thinking of having a 'pay as you go' smart meter installed in my apartment next week and my question is as follows... Do I need an internet connection for this smart meter or does the meter use GSM connections from the meter itself?. The information I got online is that the smart meter uses a gsm signal and does not need internet connection, but I also have heard that you do need an internet connection for the smart meter. Can you tell me which one is correct please, thanks.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The information I got online suggests that there is a 2G SIM in the meter so it sends data to some centralised collection point and you will be able to access some of that data.

It's just a 2G SIM so it's not a data connection. You will need an internet connection to access the data but you won't be pulling anything direct from the meter, you'll be getting it from your supplier.

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/existing-connection/meters-readings/smart-meter-upgrade/more-information-on-smart-meters-and-data

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

Hi. Thanks a lot for the information C. That's good to know.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

These meters are super convenient & means that you will never have a big bill again but they are VERY expensive to run. I think you pay around a euro per day for the meter weather you use energy or not.

Definitely read the small print before you commit to one of these

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

They are talking about "upgrading" everyone in my area to smart meters. Are there any pitfalls about them to consider?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Outdated already if they are using 2G/3G technology.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Not really. Modern mobile phone infrastructure can support multiple protocols from the same equipment and also sharing the same radio spectrum.

2G, 3G, 4G and 5G all can operate on the same network infrastructure, and the older protocols are turned on, using minimum bandwidth as needed. It doesn't actually involve maintaining legacy networks anymore.

You can't really build out a metering infrastructure on 4G and 5G when the networks aren't able to provide the deep level of coverage and if you picked 4G, sure by the time it's implemented the networks could well be on 6G or 7G.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    These meters are super convenient & means that you will never have a big bill again but they are VERY expensive to run. I think you pay around a euro per day for the meter weather you use energy or not.

Definitely read the small print before you commit to one of these

That's a good point you made. I was told it would cost me 90 cent per day even if I do not use electricity, but the esb told me that the cost is for the standing charge and the meter and servicing . I love the idea of not having a large bill at the end of the two months, I know its a bit more expensive but I can manage it beter with the meter. I live alone so I wont be using that much electricity. I just pay or top-up in any payzone location. I'll be given €125 free credit for joining them to keep me going while I top up the meter. I was just happy to know that the meter system has its own service connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

That's a good point you made. I was told it would cost me 90 cent per day even if I do not use electricity, but the esb told me that the cost is for the standing charge and the meter and servicing . I love the idea of not having a large bill at the end of the two months, I know its a bit more expensive but I can manage it beter with the meter. I live alone so I wont be using that much electricity. I just pay or top-up in any payzone location.

I am on level pay on both my gas and electricity, so already have the benefit of not getting big bills. I am charged DD every month with a good estimate and that is it. Works very well.

ESB says they want to put smart meters in all houses now, and I am trying to find out if there are any pit falls to this new meter. Does the meter cost the same standing charge as the current meters? etc etc etc

I know it's not much but there is a free emergency €10 credit in the smart meter if anything happens if a person is low on cash. It gives a few days for any person that needs a bit of extra time to top-up the meter. A person can just press the 7 and A button or the 7 and Blue button on the meter to activate the emergency €10 funds.

I thought I'd just mention this incase some-one doesn't know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I know it's not much but there is a free emergency €10 credit in the smart meter if anything happens if a person is low on cash. It gives a few days for any person that needs a bit of extra time to top-up the meter. A person can just press the 7 and A button or the 7 and Blue button on the meter to activate the emergency €10 funds.

:confused: I'm on billpay and dont have those buttons on my smart meter. Maybe there is a different model for PAYG customers.

My Make & Model is Kamstrup DK-8660.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Personally, I would avoid going to prepay if at all possible.

Monitor your own electricity usage. Set yourself a budget, but stick to normal billing.

It’s a very big downgrade in terms of being unable to ensure you’ve continuity of supply and it’s also generally more expensive.

Buy some clip on or plug in meters that will give you an indication of your usage, or read the meter regularly yourself and get a sense of your power usage.

None of the bill plans have lock in beyond a small early break fee and there’s excellent value to be had if you shop around or use a broker like Bonkers or similar.

Advertisement