Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Air dart gun?

• 12-08-2020 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭✭ biobot

I have memories of an uncle having one back in the '80's, and trying them at a seaside funfair around the same time, and was wondering if there are any good options about?

I'm familiar with the 1 joule / 328 FPS limits that above would require a license, so looking for something under that limit.

Preferences: Pistol/handgun style, 0.177 darts, rather than pellets/BBs, spring/break-barrel type (no CO2), something that would have decent accuracy from about 3 to 5 meters, something that could be used in the garage.

Also, not looking for something that looks like a 1911 replica, just something for a little target practice. Something not too noisy either would be a plus.

Is there anything available that might fit the bill?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,993 ✭✭✭✭ o1s1n

Unfortunately not, the projectile size is the issue.

Airsoft bbs are tiny and light, 6mm and .2g-.3g on average. - that's why you can still play the sport with a gun under 1 joule.

Paintballs, if I remember correctly, are 12 joules. So at that size you're already 12 times over the legal limit.

I can't even imagine how much force you'd need to fire a heavy dart, let alone something with enough power to stick into a target.

Advertisement