Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career change to planning - any advice?

Options
  • 12-08-2020 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭

I'm currently working as a chartered geotech engineer and have been considering career change options for the last few years. While I'd wanted to get out of the construction game entirely, a start from the very bottom in IT or Accountancy would be tough going.

Having provided some minor input to planning applications for one-off houses for friends an relatives over the last few years, practicing planning professionally could be an option - I came to a relaisation that I genuinely enjoy compiling applications, reviewing development plans etc.

For those in the industry, I'd be interested to know what pay, security, employment prospects are like?

I'm looking at a couple of education options - the MSc in Planning and Development from Queens in Belfast seems like a decent option. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Will you work in northern Ireland? If working in the republic, a course that is accredited by the IPI and also covers iriah legislation might be more apt.

https://www.ipi.ie/membership/accredited-courses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭rayjdav

Is it as a Planning Consultant/Town Planner/Local Authority or in an office as a technician you are interested in?

Compiling applications for planning is only a very minor part of the average job tbh. If private practice as consultant, there is a lot of legal aspects you'd need to be very familiar with. One off houses is small buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭onrail

rayjdav wrote: »
    Is it as a Planning Consultant/Town Planner/Local Authority or in an office as a technician you are interested in?

Compiling applications for planning is only a very minor part of the average job tbh. If private practice as consultant, there is a lot of legal aspects you'd need to be very familiar with. One off houses is small buttons.

Planning consultancy (eventual freelance?) and possibly a Local Authority/public body would be the eventual aim. Yeah I’d imagine a sound knowledge of relevant legislation would be vital

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭onrail

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Will you work in northern Ireland? If working in the republic, a course that is accredited by the IPI and also covers iriah legislation might be more apt.

https://www.ipi.ie/membership/accredited-courses

More interested in working in the south, so yeah I get what you’re saying. The difference in fees is considerable though - I presume it’d be tough to get employment in ROI with a UK qualification?

Advertisement