Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone seen the Perseid Meteor Showers tonight.

Options
  • 11-08-2020 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondered. I must go up into the attic room, but it seems to be facing the wrong way for this. NW trajectory, am I right, attic velux faces due South, but I'll give it a go later. Can't see anything from the front which is disappointing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Just wondered. I must go up into the attic room, but it seems to be facing the wrong way for this. NW trajectory, am I right, attic velux faces due South, but I'll give it a go later. Can't see anything from the front which is disappointing.

What time?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

What time?

Around now and later. Once it is dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Can't see a thing. Despite lots of light pollution in my rural area, the stars are very visible along with aeroplanes. Nothing else happening for me in any direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭Damien360

Very cloudy in Kildare. Couldn’t see a thing.

Nor could I either to be fair. Am in South Dublin BTW and the best view apparently is to the NW.

But it was very misty and dark this evening. Will try again tomorrow night and hope it will be clearer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Magellanic

Saw a few on Dingle Peninsula but clouded over for now. Hope to see more later if it clears.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Pretty clear here in Offaly, managed to spot around a dozen over the past 20 minutes. Mainly in the Northern sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Pretty clear here in Offaly, managed to spot around a dozen over the past 20 minutes. Mainly in the Northern sky.

Same here in west Cork. 2 very bright ones that left streaks in the sky for a split second.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Absolutely no cloud cover here near Tuam, I've seen about 5 streaks already so I'm off outside for another hour to the back garden, to lie back on the sun lounger and listen to Pink Floyd. It's very mild too, no coat required. Moon hasn't risen yet either.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Was out 15 mins ago, clouded over though. Will try again in a few mins. Located in Meath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Same here in west Cork. 2 very bright ones that left streaks in the sky for a split second.

Clear skies in Sligo. Saw one very bright one with a long tail, one 'normal' and one very faint over 20/30mins.

Might head out again in a bit. Neighbour said they saw loads 20mins before I went out.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Not great clear skies here in East Limerick but managed to spot 4 in a 30 minute window. One was a stunner with a lovely trail.
    Will this be visible tomorrow night also?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Is there any better place in the sky to look?

Looked out for about 10 mins last night just after midnight from my attic to NE/E/SE and didn’t see one.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Drumpot wrote: »
    Is there any better place in the sky to look?

Looked out for about 10 mins last night just after midnight from my attic to NE/E/SE and didn’t see one.

I read somewhere North, but I was looking South and saw a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I finally got around to building myself the all-sky camera I've been planning for the last ~2 years.
    Second night out, I capture this Perseid fireball as attached to this post. Might even be two fireballs in parallel..

Setup is an Intel I3 NUC with win10, running AllSkyEye software. The camera is an ASI224MC Pro uncooled colour astro imager. The lens is a 1.4mm f/1.2 C-mount lens (i think, it wasn't cheap, I'll check the specs later), housed in a self-built enclosure with a polycarbonate dome. Currently mains powered, but I have a solar charging / 100Ah 12v setup to complete to power the NUC.

The software does all of the management I'd like, exposure control, meteor detection, alerting, uploading, folder size management etc. Worth a look if one is homebrewing an all-sky camera.

The attached pic of the Perseid, each pic is ~4.9 seconds exposure at gain 300. taken 5 seconds apart. I've looked at all the pics, and the trail left by this fireball lasted about 2 min...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Sat out for about 2 hours last night with and had a glass of whiskey watching the skies.

In a rural area in the north west with very little light pollution, saw loads.

Does anyone know of a decent place to find out about the different types of meteors we’d be seeing?

Some are dull balls that seem to ‘drift’ across the sky.
    Then you have the classic shooting star that leaves a streak.
    Also saw one that I could only describe as a fire ball, a big flash of light which turned into a small dull light ball that drifted across the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Saw one absolutely incredible one last night. Hoping to go out again tonight to have another look - when they say it peaks on the 11th but is visible all month from July 17th until late August, how much rarer would they be tonight vs last night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Was in a dark sky location and had a stunning view all night, little to no cloud cover.
    Was seeing one every minute at least, varied sizes but there were numerous large ones that were stunning.

Seeing the red moon rise was a beautiful sight too.
    On top of that the lightning from wales was visible in the distance.
    Saw one absolutely incredible one last night. Hoping to go out again tonight to have another look - when they say it peaks on the 11th but is visible all month from July 17th until late August, how much rarer would they be tonight vs last night?

I saw one incredibly one around 12:30 or 1am ish. Wasn't paying attention to time but it was quite fierce, changed colours, and left a long trail for minutes after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Is it possible to view the repeat on Sky as missed it:eek::eek::eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I counted over 30 last night between 11:20 and 12:40, a great sight and thankfully the skies here stayed clear and not as much as one spec of light pollution. I saw two planes and a good half dozen satellites but I'm not sure if it was Starlink or not. Three fireballs were very bright and one lit up the back of the mountain like a bolt of lightning striking would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Hi there

Apologies in advance, I'm one of those annoying people who has never ever been in this forum except now that I want something :o

I'm just wondering if I would have a chance of seeing the shower tonight and if so what would be the best time? Please and thank you

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Hi there

Apologies in advance, I'm one of those annoying people who has never ever been in this forum except now that I want something :o

I'm just wondering if I would have a chance of seeing the shower tonight and if so what would be the best time? Please and thank you

Try around now and/or later. Cloud cover could be a problem, I'm unable to see anything tonight because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Hi there

Most of mine were seen facing south across the Milky Way. I spotted one or two clusters around the Plough but the vast majority were south facing. Its cloudy where I am so the ship may have soiled tonight unfortunately. My first meteor shower since 2015 in my location due to cloud cover and being abroad at the time.

Thanks guys.

I'm out of luck it seems :(

The night is not over yet.

greasepalm wrote: »
    The night is not over yet.

Just went outside there and I'm seeing some stars so the clouds are lifting

Doing my best to move a few more before it all blows over.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Going to have another look tonight, skies are meant to be clear and if I'm reading the news correctly, while the peak was on Tuesday night, the days before and after the peak should still have a good few meteors to see?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Magellanic

Saw some good activity last night in Dingle with clear skies mostly before moon rise. Back up in Dublin now so will miss out tonight.

Hope there's clear skies for those in dark sky areas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Seeing was atrocious. Saw some, just way too hazy, humid and a lot of dew didn't bother with the camera as too much light pollution bouncing off the clouds.

Great timelapse here: https://vimeo.com/447218862?fbclid=IwAR1oPZfMkndFiuMU7Eits22p-XGpuT50_yJejAPQMZyeVp3zkjvlPvHUzgM

Advertisement