Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do I need a new tyre here ?

Options
  • 11-08-2020 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

hi folks,

Trying to refurb the wifes old bike - the tyres havent been inflated in about 2 years and since doing it I notice the below.....

Is it because the tyre was left flat at this spot for a long period?

New tyre ?

thanks

522755.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

RobAMerc wrote: »
    hi folks,

Trying to refurb the wifes old bike - the tyres havent been inflated in about 2 years and since doing it I notice the below.....

Is it because the tyre was left flat at this spot for a long period?

New tyre ?

thanks

522755.jpg

Deflate the tyre again completely. Reseat the bead (edge) inside the rim of the wheel again. Try inflating it again and see if it's OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Do as suggested above but it may be that the tyre has taken shape and you will feel the 'tramp' of the flat spot when cycling - if so then a new tyre is the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Yea, agreed. Plus, if the tyre hasn't been ridden on in two years, the rubber could be perished and need to be replaced anyway. If you start seeing cracking or the rubber peeling away this will be the case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just looks like it popped off the rim when it was flat, happened to my old bike. As said above, let the air out, push the rim over the tyre and reinflate and that should be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

so, I tried this multiple times and nothing doing.
    I bought a replacement tyre and - hey presto.... same thing !

Is it the rim is shot maybe ?

525513.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Is the tyre the correct size? Presumably you took the size from the old tyre but perhaps it was the wrong size also?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

RobAMerc wrote: »

Is it the rim is shot maybe ?
    Certainly check it - the rubber around the wire in the tyre appears to be well scuffed. Has it come off the rim in the exact same place?

Advertisement