Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texel throat

Options
  • 11-08-2020 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Evening. Has anybody any cure for this. I have a shearling that got it 9 days ago. Took him to the vet. High temp. Draxin, steroids, engemician etc. Got him back eating oats, and hay then meal and fresh cut grass. I let him out this morning to the garden for an hour and he went back to square one. Had to call the vet again.. Any other cure for this apart from the lorry.. He bred well as a lamb.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

iron man wrote: »
    Evening. Has anybody any cure for this. I have a shearling that got it 9 days ago. Took him to the vet. High temp. Draxin, steroids, engemician etc. Got him back eating oats, and hay then meal and fresh cut grass. I let him out this morning to the garden for an hour and he went back to square one. Had to call the vet again.. Any other cure for this apart from the lorry.. He bred well as a lamb.

There is no cure, there's breeders that know they're breeding Texel throat and yet still continue.
    It's around long enough for the seller of that ram to know he has it. A friend bought three texels from one breeder and everyone of them was gone in 12 mths.
    Does your ram lose his wool around his chest and belly and elsewhere, that's suppose to be a symptom too

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭iron man

no wool lost... its frustrating...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Did you buy him? Can you get back onto the seller?

got him a year ago... he bred very well as a lamb. was wintered inside. had him out since May and was flying until he picked this up 9 days ago...

no wool lost... its frustrating...

It wouldn't be advisable to keep ewes out of him

• Advertisement

oh dear... I have 15... belters...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

got him a year ago... he bred very well as a lamb. was wintered inside. had him out since May and was flying until he picked this up 9 days ago...

He didn’t pick it up, it is in the rams breeding and the breeders know they have it and are selling it on to farmers, the texel breed has changed so much from what they were 20 years ago, with tear drops, stripping and smaller etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

If they aren’t out of texted ewes and don’t have short necks they’ll be fine. Just breed another breed to them.

Jjameson wrote:
    If they aren’t out of texted ewes and don’t have short necks they’ll be fine. Just breed another breed to them.

these breeders must have some way of disguising it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

these breeders must have some way of disguising it...

A bit like the big headed big legged Suffolk rams, it’s the idiot buyers paying the big bucks that are the root cause.

• Advertisement

I used to always buy Texel hogget rams from Willie hutchinson in Kilkenny, the last time I went to him he had none as he had slaughtered all his hogget rams because their breeding lines had Texel throat. That was a huge financial loss for him rather than selling them around the country to catch someone out.
    That's seven or eight years ago and to say it's still around reflects badly on texel breeders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭DJ98

Have a texel hogget ram here and his breathing is gone very heavy and laboured and he tries to roar its almost like his voice is gone. A neighbour described his breathing as like a lawnmower the other day (not from a farming background). Would texel throat be the cause of this? Have rang the vet and waiting on him to call back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

Sounds like it. My Texel ram died from that on Christmas Eve. The last 2 Texel rams that I had both died from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

yep... lost a 3 year old tex x bought in as a hoggett a few weeks ago , was hoping to get the lambs out of her but wasn't to be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Jesus is that what it is? I think I have it myself these days...

Advertisement