Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying/planting a 2m tall Cordyline Australis

Options
  • 11-08-2020 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

I admire the Cordyline Australis and always wanted to have one.
    It appears to me that everyone is planting them when they're tiny.
    I'd like to know if it's possible to buy & plant a 2m tall Cordyline Australis successfully so that it does survive.

Do you know of companies who specialize in this please?

If not, how fast does it grow from tiny to 2m tall?

We have rabbits in the garden, so starting out with a larger tree would give me a lot less challenges.

Also, our soil has a lot of clay in it and I'm looking to plant the tree close to the bottom fence of a south-facing garden where there is more moss than grass due to the fence casting a shadow.
    Would the Cordyline Australis survive this you reckon? (starting from tiny or 2m tall)
    If a 2m tall one could settle here it'd get plenty of sunshine as the fence is 1.8m tall.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't know about planting a 2m tall one, but I would have reservations about putting one against a fence that casts so much shade that it affects the grass adjacent to it. A sun-loving plant needs more than just the top bit in the sun. Also you would probably have a frost pocket against that fence which would make frost cutting it down (which is something that happens) more likely. They usually grow again from the base if they get cut down, but in complete shade this is not likely to happen.

There are numerous native or 'semi-native' woodland trees that would grow quite happily in that situation, you would be better to put your cordaline somewhere where it would be happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I planted a tiny one about 8-9 years ago and it's well over 3m now and still growing.

Once it got established I trimmed the bottom yellowing leaves off it maybe once every couple of months and this encouraged it to get taller, I've trimmed a few that friends are growing in pots too and they've been delighted with the growth spurts it encourages.

Ours is planted in full sun and the soil would be more acidic than clay. Just went out to take a picture there now and it's due another trim.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

I planted a tiny one about 8-9 years ago and it's well over 3m now and still growing.

Once it got established I trimmed the bottom yellowing leaves off it maybe once every couple of months and this encouraged it to get taller, I've trimmed a few that friends are growing in pots too and they've been delighted with the growth spurts it encourages.

Ours is planted in full sun and the soil would be more acidic than clay. Just went out to take a picture there now and it's due another trim.

OMG, what a beautiful picture! Not just the tree, but the entire surroundings!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

looksee wrote: »
    I don't know about planting a 2m tall one, but I would have reservations about putting one against a fence that casts so much shade that it affects the grass adjacent to it. A sun-loving plant needs more than just the top bit in the sun. Also you would probably have a frost pocket against that fence which would make frost cutting it down (which is something that happens) more likely. They usually grow again from the base if they get cut down, but in complete shade this is not likely to happen.

There are numerous native or 'semi-native' woodland trees that would grow quite happily in that situation, you would be better to put your cordaline somewhere where it would be happier.

Bang on the ball, I thought we lost this one a couple of years ago but she's back with three new plants around the base.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭blackbox

I find the fallen cordeline leaves to be a right nuisance.

They get tangled in strimmer & mower unless you pick up every one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Cordyline or as they are known in their local area Cabbage trees have very strong leaves, in fact they were commonly used by the Maori people to make bags kete and shoes in the days before plastic.
    https://www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/lifestyle-file/rural-people-a-issues/rural-voice/item/1675-weaving-with-native-plants

Advertisement