Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Fitting Dormer Window

Options
  • 10-08-2020 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Hi just looking for some guidance here not any exact designs.
    I have 2 velux windows that are 750mm wide and there is 900mm gap between them.
    I want replace these with 1 single dormer window to span the full width of 2400mm. I am aware that I will need to double if not treble the rafters at each side but would these rafters have to go full length from wallplate to ridgeboard or would it be enough to double or treble the length thats under the sides of the dormer. I dont fancy stripping back the roof from wall plate to ridge board. As I say this there may well be double rafters at the existing veluxes anyway. I should have checked!
    All advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Is planning required?
    What sort of roof will be on the dormer: A or flat?
    What depth are the rafters?
    Any roof purlins?
    It the roof a cut roof or trusses?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

pajoguy wrote: »
    Hi just looking for some guidance here not any exact designs.
    I have 2 velux windows that are 750mm wide and there is 900mm gap between them.
    I want replace these with 1 single dormer window to span the full width of 2400mm. I am aware that I will need to double if not treble the rafters at each side but would these rafters have to go full length from wallplate to ridgeboard or would it be enough to double or treble the length thats under the sides of the dormer. I dont fancy stripping back the roof from wall plate to ridge board. As I say this there may well be double rafters at the existing veluxes anyway. I should have checked!
    All advice appreciated.

Seek planning permission.
    Get roof and dormer designed by engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Is planning required?
    What sort of roof will be on the dormer: A or flat?
    What depth are the rafters?
    Any roof purlins?
    It the roof a cut roof or trusses?

Planning I can sort out myself. Im in the country and its to rear of property. I know It requires planning but I might go ahead with it now as opening the roof up innivember december isnt appealing.
    Only agricultural land to rear for miles so will speak to landowner and if he is happy I might push on.
    Its a cut roof. 7 x 2 rafters with 9 x 3 purlins at 1.2m above floor joist. I would be pushing out the knee wall to have a floor to window height of 700mm. I would be building the new knee wall the same standsrd as the existing one birdsmouting the purlin to rafter etc.
    Going for an A roof on the former id say.
    My engineer is on holidays for 2 weeks so i will get him to detail it exactly when he returns.

Thanks for replys.

Advertisement