Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extend my Virgin Wifi by 20 meters?

Options
  • 09-08-2020 5:41pm

Hi Folks,

Apologies if asked a million times before, but i can't seem to find anything.

Before I start - I'm not exactly Mr. Tech Savvy. So go easy on me :D

Pretty much, I'm with Virgin Media, and I have a Virgin Hub in my sitting room, at the very front of my house.

WiFi reaches my kitchen smart TV (very rear of the house) and it's hit and miss, so I put in a TP Link WiFi extender plug which made it much better.

I have a shed/garden room at the bottom of my back garden, with a Smart TV in it also, and the internet doesn't reach. It's, at a guess, 20meters away from the Hub (front of the house). So, I went to argos and purchased a couple more TP Link extenders, hoping they'd ribbon-bounce off each other and I'd just create a chain of wireless extenders of sorts, but unfortunately, that wasn't very successful.

I'm trying to find a way of getting a good, solid reliable connection to my shed.

Virgin have a product called a 'Powerline Adaptor' (which doesn't actually appear to be available to buy at the moment) which, as far as I am aware, is a two-plug system, that you plug one in beside the moden, and another one in wherever you want the signal boosted and, like magic, it works. However, the issue with this is they claim it only works when the two plugs are on the same fuseboard.

My shed has it's own, separate fuse board (albeit, it is connected back to the house's fuseboard), but from chatting with Virgin on webchat a few months back, it seems it wouldn't work.

So I am looking to see if anyone on here can advise or suggest anything?

One thing I did have in my head, and was going to ask was: If I was to..

1. Plug a TP Link WiFi extender in directly beside the virgin 'hub'.
    2. Plug a TP Link WiFi extender in, in the shed (20meters away)
    3 Drill a hole in the wall of each room
    4. Get a Cat5 cable, run it the length of the garden/house and connect both plugs.
    5) Would that help bring a 100% signal into my shed?

Or any other suggestions or products, please do throw out any ideas.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out here :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

I would run the ethernet cable to the shed through a hose or pipe on the outside to stop it from corroding . If you want wireless connectivity add a wireless access point / router in the shed as a separate network, set its WAN address to the default gateway address of the Virgin Hub your connecting to with ethernet cable. If you want to have ethernet only connected devices in the shed then the access point is not required and you could use an unmanaged switch Like the TP-Link 8 (switch goes in shed)connected with the same run ethernet cable to your VM hub no setup required all auto but no wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

I'm also with Virgin and there WIFI is shockingly bad. I have it in the bedroom and it wont reach 10 feet into the living room without cutting out so I got a WIFI booster ('Powerline Adaptor' you were talking about) from them but that didn't last 2 weeks before it packed in. However there is good distance on the booster but I had to jump through hoops to get one off them as they were trying to charge me for it. I've to contact them again at the end of the month for a replacement to be sent as they are out of stock apparently.

Advertisement