Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

JJ Kavanagh

  • 08-08-2020 3:24pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 11,837 ✭✭✭✭ Gael23
    Registered User


    Is there any reason why this shower have not resumed operations? Even local services have been pulled indefinitely


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭ The Lost Sheep


    Not allowed to/granted approval from NTA.
    Not exactly their fault


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭ touts
    Registered User


    Gael23 wrote: »
    Is there any reason why this shower have not resumed operations? Even local services have been pulled indefinitely

    Well that "shower" as you so deftly described them are a business struggling to stay afloat while the government have forced them to stay shut. Sorry if their difficulty and the perilous position all their staff are in slightly inconvenienced you.


  • Registered Users Posts: 24,752 ✭✭✭✭ Wishbone Ash
    Registered User


    Gael23 wrote: »
    ... this shower ...
    Classy! Says more about you than them.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭ xieann
    Registered User


    OP, with your attitude you should stick to the Waterford Heuston Train. Oh wait, that was packed like a sardine card in recent times. Maybe downgrade so to Bus Éireann. Are your feelings hurt much?


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,837 ✭✭✭✭ Gael23
    Registered User


    Where I live they run the local bus service into the city centre so until they resume service I have a 30 minute walk each way.
    What is the issue with the NTA?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭ Vic_08
    Registered User


    Gael23 wrote: »
    Where I live they run the local bus service into the city centre so until they resume service I have a 30 minute walk each way.
    What is the issue with the NTA?

    There isn't one. In fact the only services JJ have run through the Covid crisis are the NTA supported routes they are tendered for and paid to run with no farebox risk.

    A number of commercial operations stayed running, some more have since resumed, many have not. It is a commercial decision of the operators to run or not.


  • Registered Users Posts: 24,752 ✭✭✭✭ Wishbone Ash
    Registered User


    Gael23 wrote: »
    I have a 30 minute walk each way...
    I could understand it if you said you had a 3 hour walk. But 30 minutes? Seriously? That's a short walk. Many people would have to walk 30 minutes or more to get their bus/train etc.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,837 ✭✭✭✭ Gael23
    Registered User


    Vic_08 wrote: »
    There isn't one. In fact the only services JJ have run through the Covid crisis are the NTA supported routes they are tendered for and paid to run with no farebox risk.

    A number of commercial operations stayed running, some more have since resumed, many have not. It is a commercial decision of the operators to run or not.

    So they don’t need to wait for any approval from the NTA then?


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,056 ✭✭✭ Tipsy McSwagger
    Registered User


    Gael23 wrote: »
    Where I live they run the local bus service into the city centre so until they resume service I have a 30 minute walk each way.

    Every cloud


  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭ aido79
    Moderator


    Every cloud

    It would be ironic if that cloud was to produce a shower during the 30 minute walk...


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭ devnull
    Moderator


    The NTA and Department of Transport on behalf of central government are having discussions with commercial bus operators, both public and private in relation to the effect that the COVID-19 pandemic and the required restrictions have on their operation which make the trading environment extremely tough with many key demand drivers simply not there or heavily reduced.

    The operators hope to reach a conclusion leading to them being able to resume services in a sustainable way that preserves the health and safety of their customers and staff as well as ensuring the companies can continue to trade for the foreseeable future, safeguarding the jobs of their employees and in turn the welfare of the families who rely on the wages from such jobs.

    It's a tough trading environment out there. Starting operating now or in a few weeks time could be the difference between a company surviving and it not. Many operators have revealed to others in the industry that they would burn a lot more cash by running at the moment than they would by not running and thus with limited cash reserves want to hold off a bit.

    You will notice none of the dedicated airport commercial services are running - they can't all be wrong.


  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭ 91wx763
    Registered User


    Marc O Cathasaigh TD for Waterford was on the local radio the other day saying an arrangement was being made for the JJ Kavanagh and Suirway local bus services to resume.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,837 ✭✭✭✭ Gael23
    Registered User


    devnull wrote: »
    The NTA and Department of Transport on behalf of central government are having discussions with commercial bus operators, both public and private in relation to the effect that the COVID-19 pandemic and the required restrictions have on their operation which make the trading environment extremely tough with many key demand drivers simply not there or heavily reduced.

    The operators hope to reach a conclusion leading to them being able to resume services in a sustainable way that preserves the health and safety of their customers and staff as well as ensuring the companies can continue to trade for the foreseeable future, safeguarding the jobs of their employees and in turn the welfare of the families who rely on the wages from such jobs.

    It's a tough trading environment out there. Starting operating now or in a few weeks time could be the difference between a company surviving and it not. Many operators have revealed to others in the industry that they would burn a lot more cash by running at the moment than they would by not running and thus with limited cash reserves want to hold off a bit.

    You will notice none of the dedicated airport commercial services are running - they can't all be wrong.
    Surely they could run from wherever in the country to Dublin City centre?


  • Registered Users Posts: 24,451 ✭✭✭✭ Alf Veedersane
    Registered User


    Gael23 wrote: »
    Surely they could run from wherever in the country to Dublin City centre?

    Possibly, but it's likely they would be operating at a loss. The talk involving the NTA are around temporary funding to run certain services.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭ DaCor
    Registered User


    Gael23 wrote: »
    Surely they could run from wherever in the country to Dublin City centre?

    If its not viable, its not viable and would result in private operators going bust.

    They cannot fill the buses due to the restrictions so they cannot make the same amount of cash as before yet still have the same costs

    Why is this so hard to understand?


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 61,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭ L1011
    Moderator


    The current JJ (I'm presuming there was a prior JJ as the company is 101 years old!) was on the RTE thing about small businesses saying that 170 of the 200 staff are laid off currently but they expect to have 80% of services back by the end of August.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭ tabbey
    Registered User


    Gael23 wrote: »
    Is there any reason why this shower have not resumed operations? Even local services have been pulled indefinitely

    Am I right in thinking your county is back in lockdown?


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭ GT89
    Banned


    DaCor wrote: »
    If its not viable, its not viable and would result in private operators going bust.

    They cannot fill the buses due to the restrictions so they cannot make the same amount of cash as before yet still have the same costs

    Why is this so hard to understand?

    And this is why socially nessecary public transport should not be left in the hands of for profit free enterprise. Some areas have been left without any public transporpublithe services in their area are not PSO.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭ GT89
    Banned


    I could understand it if you said you had a 3 hour walk. But 30 minutes? Seriously? That's a short walk. Many people would have to walk 30 minutes or more to get their bus/train etc.

    Not so great for the elderly/disabled


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,837 ✭✭✭✭ Gael23
    Registered User


    tabbey wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking your county is back in lockdown?

    No, we are doing very well actually


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,297 ✭✭✭✭ _Kaiser_
    Registered User


    GT89 wrote: »
    Not so great for the elderly/disabled

    Or most people really. 30 minutes (each way presumably) is far from a short walk.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,837 ✭✭✭✭ Gael23
    Registered User


    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Or most people really. 30 minutes (each way presumably) is far from a short walk.

    That’s 30 minutes to the next bus route that’s available, not into town


Advertisement