Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wanting to get a full physical in private hospital

Options
  • 06-08-2020 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Just thinking of the money I spend on my car with servicing and repairs that I should maybe think of looking at myself so am looking to get an annual physical done at a private hospital annual just to give myself a service.

Any recommendations? I hear the Beacon and Blackrock Clinic are good and would be around €200, which seems reasonable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭karlitob

Just thinking of the money I spend on my car with servicing and repairs that I should maybe think of looking at myself so am looking to get an annual physical done at a private hospital annual just to give myself a service.

Any recommendations? I hear the Beacon and Blackrock Clinic are good and would be around €200, which seems reasonable.

There’s evidence to support that doing a regular medical check is in no way beneficial to your health.

Seems counter intuitive I know. Surely no harm in bloods, blood pressure etc. It’s just that it’s only one point in time; if it shows up something (which it often does) it just leads to a barrage of tests (inadvertently making the person think that something is actually wrong); and unless it’s against the population in terms of testing it’s just hit and miss.

Screening is different of course - population screening - breast, cervical etx. But even then there is evidence to suggest that breast screening is not particularly effective and certainly not cost effective. 10 year survival rates are better but it’s thought that that is because of identification sooner - not living longer. It would seem that a well communicated public health message on how to self assess and identify signs and symptoms is as good as a population screening programme.

That said - if you’re worried about something speak to your GP. You’re the expert in your own health.

Other than that - eat healthily, exercise often, limit alcohol, don’t smoke and keep the mental health good —— and you’ll be as good as your time on earth will allow for.

Advertisement