Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheel builders in Ireland

Options
  • 05-08-2020 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭

Is there any wheel-builders you would recommend? I’ve a client whose looking for a pair.
    120kg living on back roads is there an off the peg wheel set you’d back for it or better to get something built. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Is there any wheel-builders you would recommend? I’ve a client whose looking for a pair.
    120kg living on back roads is there an off the peg wheel set you’d back for it or better to get something built. Thanks.

I’ve used Lucasz in Apex Cycles to build up my front wheel, it’s been absolutely flawless since he’s worked on it.

Very happy with the service, he knows his stuff inside out and he got it turned around quickly for me. He even dropped it off to my workplace when it was done!

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lethal dose

I also use Lucasz for wheel refurb and building, his quality and prices are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Does he do simple stuff like truing wheels as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

During lockdown, I used Lucasz for a bent hanger and he was very good for that. Hard to beat him collecting and dropping back.

Cliff in Harry's has rebuilt wheels for me in the past - haven't been in there since lockdown though to know the current set up (it's my defacto LBS, as beside work, but I've been remote since!).

@Effects, most mechanics should be well able to true a wheel. I've managed to not do a completely rubbish job of it myself!

Macy0161 wrote: »
    @Effects, most mechanics should be well able to true a wheel. I've managed to not do a completely rubbish job of it myself!

Had a few bad experiences with places in the past!

Once I replace the wheels on my daily bike, I'm going to have a go a servicing and truing the old ones. No big deal if I mess it up.

A few years ago I thought a spoke tension meter was a bit too expensive, but I might get one now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Cliff in Harry's, Darragh in Beecycles and Richie(I think as its not Derek who does them) in Humphries. I've had humphries do 2 sets of heavy touring wheels and rode another set they'd built for someone else til the rims died

I'm due to drop my bike in to Darragh in Beecycles to have the disc brakes serviced, so will probably just get him to true the wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Another plus for Lukaz in Apex cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I have a set of wheels that Cliff built for me, 36 spoke Mavic Open Pros, they have been bullet proof for me over almost ten years. The rim is nearly worn out now and they’ve never given me a bit of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭saccades

Peter at Revolve bikes builds a mean wheel as does Robin at Expert cycles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i assume in this case, you do not use 'mean' in the 'average' sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Thanks for all the feedback folks. Appreciate it. I’ll pass on the info and see will be get a set built. I’ll report back when and if done. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lethal dose

Effects wrote: »
    Does he do simple stuff like truing wheels as well?
    He does indeed as well as refurb, service and bearing replacement on older wheels.

Advertisement