Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about disc brakes and upgrading frames

Options
  • 04-08-2020 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I recently returned to cycling after a long hiatus and am a bit intimidated by the changes in technology.

I'm looking at getting an entry-level aluminium Canyon or Rose bike with decent spec (Ultegra and disc brakes) and possibly upgrading the frame in about a year's time if I'm still as in love with cycling as I am now. My dream frame is titanium but that is out of my budget for the time being.

My main question is, is it easy to just swap out frames while keeping components, wheels etc? Particularly the disc brakes. Are Ultegra disc brakes generally transferrable between frames or would it be too niggly a job?

Blown away especially by the spec on Rose Pro SL for the money!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Even cheaper bike here
    https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/radon-r1-disc-ultegra-913948

All high end bike components are transferable and serviceable, other than wear and tear parts tyre drivetrain etc. Only difficulty would be with internal cable routing you'll have to remove drain and bleed the system again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you'd also need to take quick release and bolt through as a concern in regards to how 'portable' the wheels/frame are.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Come a years time it'll be N+1, dont worry about upgrading.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Refractions

ED E wrote: »
    Come a years time it'll be N+1, dont worry about upgrading.

Very true :D
    you'd also need to take quick release and bolt through as a concern in regards to how 'portable' the wheels/frame are.

Thanks. Will definitely need to keep an eye on stuff like that.
    Tony04 wrote: »
    Even cheaper bike here
    https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/radon-r1-disc-ultegra-913948

Nice one

All high end bike components are transferable and serviceable, other than wear and tear parts tyre drivetrain etc. Only difficulty would be with internal cable routing you'll have to remove drain and bleed the system again.

True enough, that would be tricky too. My LBS would probably hate to see me coming in with a Rose/Canyon etc but I think I'll leave the niggly stuff to someone who knows what they're at.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

True enough, that would be tricky too. My LBS would probably hate to see me coming in with a Rose/Canyon etc but I think I'll leave the niggly stuff to someone who knows what they're at.

I think by now most bike shops are happy to fit parts that obviously haven't been bought from them, some business is better than no business, you'll just have to pay that bit extra.

Merida have a decent 105 disc aluminium bike for 1700, you could negotiate down if your lbs stocks them and then you wouldnt have to assemble it yourself.

One other thing is when changing frame is you'll almost definitely have to get a new bb. A previous poster mentioned about qr/axles but 142 they axles are pretty much standard for disc road bikes now

• Advertisement
Advertisement