Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help sugar free diet and treats for toddlers

Options
  • 03-08-2020 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

As title says need help in shopping for 4yr old sugar free treats and diet.Have discovered child like a lunatic after sweets .So have cut them out completely from her diet.
    I'm sure someone can point me in the right direction shopping list wise in Aldi Lidi of what I can buy.Shes a hungry horse.Fruit bowl is always full and I allow crisip and popcorn.Im sure parents have been through this before...Help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Anyone please or can mod move to where its suitable.Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You need to work on your daughters behaviour. Not the substance you think is causing it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Tbh, OP, all kids are like lunatics after sugar. Some sugars have a worse effect than others - about all I can suggest to you is keep the treats to a bare minimum, and no fizzy drinks.She is coming to an age where there will be birthday parties and that, and the stuff will come her way anyway.I can't exactly say there are sugar free treats for kids, outside of not giving treats and giving fruit and similar instead.Or bake at home, that way you know what has gone into it.

Beyond that, I am not sure what exactly you mean by lunatic behaviour, but definitely telling her what behaviour is acceptable and what is not should be part of it, whether she has had sugar or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

You could try something like the organix goodies range. I think Aldi has a knock off version. It’s not completely sugar free but no added sugar. Made from dried fruits and fruit juice etc. You could also make your own if you had time. Try bbc going good for kids recipes. They’ve some nice ones.

Aldi have sugar free gums and foams at the till

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Avoid sugar free anything as it will give them diarrhoea (something to do with the substitute used) . Haribo have a 30% lower sugar jellies version that we get in Tesco. Rich tea biscuits and digestives you can get lower sugar versions. Longer release sugars like granola bars. We also give fruit and nut mix to our fella.
    He gets ice cream when we are out somewhere and Nutella on toast for breakfast some mornings. And any relatives or friends always bring junk so we can't escape it completely.

Thanks all.I have notice her behaviour changing dramatically as soon as she eats sweets and it has been corrected after the meltdown is over.I do let her have rich tea,good to know its not as sugary as other biscults.I supply a full fruit bowl for herself and her buddies when they call over.Looks like im on the right track.Ill try the treats as suggested in Aldi.I do bake ill get back into it at the weekend.Thank you

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I think those chocolate bourbon biscuits are lowish in sugar too, if she wanted something chocolatey.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

My partner and I try to keep sweets to a minimum but of course they can't always be avoided so our 3 year old gets the following (not all at once obviously):

Organix Oatibites
    Less than a quarter of a full chocolate digestive
    Tesco Fruit Puree's
    Organix Raisins
    Grapes, Blueberries, Strawberries
    Chupa Chups
    Haagen Dazs vanilla ice-cream
    Danone prune or strawberry yoghurt
    Organix rice cakes
    Kiddylicious fruit snacks

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ax530

rice cakes, crackers, peanut butter, berries, banannas, boiled eggs, cheese, popcorn. drink water & milk
    these are some snack ideas. I avoid getting biscuits, chocolate sweets ect as I'd eat them all.
    I have never noticed any reaction from my kids to chocolate, sweets ect but I think the best idea is no treats in the house. they can then get used to helping themselves to eating when hungry as the sweets not tempting them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Our two rarely eat sugary things. The two year old has never tasted chocolate and the three year old only had it once when his aunt was minding him and she gave him a small bar. Was the little ones birthday yesterday so we were down with the inlaws for a tea party and naturally we had cake. Three year old had a smallish piece and he went balubas for about 40 minutes, just really high energy and nearly bouncing off the walls which is very atypical for him. We could only conclude the sugar in it triggered him.

Thank you all so much.Very helpful.

Our two rarely eat sugary things. The two year old has never tasted chocolate and the three year old only had it once when his aunt was minding him and she gave him a small bar. Was the little ones birthday yesterday so we were down with the inlaws for a tea party and naturally we had cake. Three year old had a smallish piece and he went balubas for about 40 minutes, just really high energy and nearly bouncing off the walls which is very atypical for him. We could only conclude the sugar in it triggered him.

Icing on the cake?Desperate stuff, winds them up terribly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I can’t say I’ve noticed sugar having much impact. My 2.5 year old might get 2 raspberry cream biscuits once a week and then nana is a push over so he gets a chocolate digestive or she gives him dark chocolate buttons every few days. Then daddy is a fiend for the jam so he shares that at the weekend. I was very strict with sugary stuff up until 2 but trying to have a more balanced approach now so that they seen as things we eat sometimes rather than “treats” that are special and should be put on a pedestal if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

shesty wrote: »
    Icing on the cake?Desperate stuff, winds them up terribly.

Aye, seemingly it has similar effects to crystal meth for our lad. :D

This is an interesting article, you might consider, before cutting out all sugar completely.

Does sugar make kids hyperactive?

I'm an "everything in moderation" person, myself. I don't believe cutting anything completely from the diet is good, (whether that is sugar, fat or dairy) unless there is an allergy.

I would stick to the lower sugar options if you think it helps.

If you offer a lot of fruit, be careful about making them brush their teeth as some fruits are naturally high in fruit sugar (fructose) .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ah the sugar one is so hard to manage when there is so much of it in everything. I would be very wary of products that they are say are sugar free o low sugar (mostly that is bs and they are full of false sugars which is just as bad).. Words to look out for are aspartame there is another one too that is a mix of two false sugars I shall try and think of the name.. Also modified maize starch

We made the mistake of getting cheerios here one day, jes she was bouncing off the roof for a week...

The organix brand we found is very good. We just get the fruit bars, and the little animal biscuits but they do all types of snacks.
    Found Pretzels very good, just a few.. Raisins also and they are full of iron so i am to believe..

If she likes peanut butter you can make a lovely snack from them and rice crispies. Make a batch and they will keep in the fridge for a few days.. Rice crackers but not too many as they can bung you up :)...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

I would stay away from any stuff that says low sugar or low fat. They are normally just full of other false sugars. Watch out for aspartame and they is another one that is a mix of that and some other sugar.. Cant think of the name at the moment.

The organix brand is very good, you can get sometimes in Aldi but mostly the bigger stores. We just get the bickies and bars, but they do crips and all that goes.. Watch with some of the lidl and alid brands too, they can be full of well crap... Modified maize starch is another to watch out for or even the sell by date if they have a long shelf life well they cant be that good for you.

Snack for herself would be rice crackers, pretzels, raisins (full of iron) homemade banana bread (easy to make and you can freeze) also if she likes peanut butter you can make a lovely one with rice crispies and they last in the fridge for maybe a week..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

Snacks in our house are
    Yoghurt (check sugar content, we currently give skyr icelandic style yoghurt approx sugar content 7g/100g in Aldi)
    bananas
    Apples
    cheddar cheese
    mandarins

On the odd hot day they will get an icecream in the afternoon. Either the mini magnum style or a cone with honeycomb.

Some days we make scones as well but mammy had to cut that one out due to expanding waistline. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Hey. I'm trying to find the nutrition thread for kids. Is it in a sticky or further down?
    If someone knows can you please post a link or pm? Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement