Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Meath to Wexford route.

Options
  • 31-07-2020 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Heading just south of Wexford town in 2 weeks time for a small family break. Wanted to cycle down for the challenge.
    Looking for a good route that someone has used or uses regular.
    Google and various route planners giving me different route so just looking for some personal recommendations. Leaving from navan and looking for a good spin.
    Any recommendations welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The complete route is hardly a well travelled route but sections of it would be well travelled by some so probably best to piece suggestions together.

Maybe head toward Dunsany then Batterstown, Kilcloon, Lucan, Baldonnel, Kilteel, Blessington, N81 through Baltinglass and on to Enniscorthy and then Wexford Town. You could also head over toward Ferns and then to the Gorey/Wexford road.

I'd be familiar with the south Meath/Dublin/north Wicklow part of that and it'd be the route I'd choose - at least as far as Blessington. Some will argue that the N81 is busy and unpleasant due to traffic but the further south you go the lighter the traffic becomes.

Maybe others can give you better suggestions on the south Wickow/Carlow/Wexford routing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Have done taghmon to tallaght before. Blessington route down tulllow balloon bunclody enniscorthy.

All very doable. As above sections of the N81 aren't super friendly. Best track gradients etc on the route so your fully prepped. Had two rest stops along that route above near GAA clubs for food and a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

A pal of mine normally uses the Blessington, Baltinglass, Bunclody, Enniscorthy ,Wexford route.. But recently went the N11 way crisscrossing the motorway . Think he prefers Tallaght, Blessington route, he didnt enjoy the coast road from Brittas, Arklow, Tara hill, courtown, Kilmuckridge, Blackwater to Curracloe. But each journey can differ, i once scooted across to Ferns to meet him and ended up towing him from Ferns to Wexford and he's a stronger rider than me.
    For the much more adventurous rider, out to Blessington, up over Hollywood, Wicklow Gap, Glendalough, Rathdrum, Woodenbridge, Arklow and coast road as described above to Curracloe and into Wexford town. Some day !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Meath's a huge starting point, from Kinnegad to the irish sea.
    Wexford's a big target from Bunclody to just south of Arklow...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Meath's a huge starting point, from Kinnegad to the irish sea.
    Wexford's a big target from Bunclody to just south of Arklow...

I think in fairness he/she said south of Wexford town and starting from Navan.

I did it recently enough from south Dublin and went down N11 and then through Wicklow town/Brittas Bay/Arklow. Back onto old N11 which is mostly quiet and then main coast road from Gorey to Wexford town (R741).

You could stay on N11 from Gorey but it is a few miles longer through Enniscorthy ect

One word of warning. If it is a hot day you will face a stiff sea breeze from Wicklow to Arklow if using coast road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭splanagan22

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I think in fairness he/she said south of Wexford town and starting from Navan.

I did it recently enough from south Dublin and went down N11 and then through Wicklow town/Brittas Bay/Arklow. Back onto old N11 which is mostly quiet and then main coast road from Gorey to Wexford town (R741).

You could stay on N11 from Gorey but it is a few miles longer through Enniscorthy ect

One word of warning. If it is a hot day you will face a stiff sea breeze from Wicklow to Arklow if using coast road

Hi. Yes thinking of this route now myself. Possibility of Leaving from Drogheda which would put me on the Dublin route. Wicklow route is a fair route but the roads from navan to blessington wouldn’t be that inviting on a weekday morning. I still have some planning to do.

Advertisement