Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do people get bicycle locks for their racks racks?

Options
  • 31-07-2020 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Do people get bicycle locks for their bike racks

i have a bike rack something similar to this that i got recently and will be using it soon to go away for a few days in west of ireland...
    https://www.mycycle.ie/Hollywood-Express-3-Trunk-Bike-Rack-p/hollywoode3.htm

i do have a bike lock but just want to know what locks people use for car racks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

thebourke wrote: »
    Do people get bicycle locks for their bike racks

i have a bike rack something similar to this that i got recently and will be using it soon to go away for a few days in west of ireland...
    https://www.mycycle.ie/Hollywood-Express-3-Trunk-Bike-Rack-p/hollywoode3.htm

i do have a bike lock but just want to know what locks people use for car racks?

I don't, but then I don't leave the bikes on the rack

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Any standard bike lock will suffice once you're not leaving them unattended for a long time.

cletus wrote: »
    I don't, but then I don't leave the bikes on the rack
    It may be for brief stops such as filling stations, restaurants etc. while travelling.

Attempts have been made to steal bikes while in heavy traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Yes, they are targets for thieves. I've a heavy duty chain I got off a scrap dealer, metal is 12mm thick. I have it pushed through the hem of an old curtain to stop it scratching the bikes and I tie them together with this. I use a standard small Kryptonite lock to lock the chain. It wieghs a fair bit, but i never carry it apart from when it's on the rack. It can be cut, I think the Kryptonite is the weak link here, but they'll probably target someone else instead.

2 Ebikes, worth about €4,000 new, or €2,000 second hand. Also have road bikes, but they're cheap Halfords jobs.

Advertisement