Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bronzer, contour, highlight - pallets?

Options
  • 31-07-2020 4:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

Contour and highlight typically come in a pallet.

Bronzer comes separately?

Basically, are these a one size fits all type of product, or is it like foundation where you have to try a bunch of shades and coverage levels to get the right fit?

I ask cause, obviously with covid restrictions, now is not a good time to have to sample a whole bunch of swatches.

Minimal application in my case, but if one shade yields a better result, I guess as well to get it right.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Id recommend that you go onto Youtube and look up some makeup videos Id suggest Sali Hughes, Wayne Goss and Caroline Hirons but there are literally thousands.

Bronzer is used to add colour to your face.
    Contour is used to give the illusion of shadow to certain areas of the face like your nose to make it appear smaller.
    Highlight is used to highlight areas of your face, like brow bone and above cheeks.

Bronzers and contour palettes generally come in shades light, medium and dark, you choose which one depending on your skin tone. Fair- use light, meduim - use medium, dark sin - use darker shades.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

As a general rule, bronzer should be warm toned to warm up the face and contour should be ashier/cooler toned to create shadows.
    If you use a warm bronzer to contour it’ll look quite unnatural and possible even orange.

I have yet to find a pallet where every shade was used or suitable, so some will go to waste. You are far better off buying one separate product for each to ensure each colour will actually be used.
    Pallets over complicate that.
    I personally like Give Me Sun & Deep Dark from Mac for bronzing (depending on whether I’m wearing tan or not) and the Nars Contour powder duo to contour.

What will be suitable for you will be completely dependant on your skin type, tone etc. so there will be trial and error.

If I could give any recommendation it would be to find a local freelance MUA whose work you like and book an appointment with them.
    Tell them what kind of look you’re going for & your budget, let them assess your skin, and try out a few different products on you. This way you can test lots of products without buying the wrong ones and having them go in the bin cause they don’t suit.
    Get them to then make a list of recommendations and buy what they suggest.
    Independent MUA’s also aren’t tied to or loyal to any specific brands, whereas if you go to to a makeup counter in a shop the advice you get may not be so impartial.

I did this for my goddaughter as a treat when she first started wearing makeup, it cost €100 (other MUA’s may be cheaper) but it saved us far more money in the long run because each product suggested was the perfect shade and consistency for her skin and nothing went to waste, it negated the need for trial and error.

Advertisement