Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Issue: Am I overreacting?

Options
  • 31-07-2020 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello everyone, going unreg for this one. Sorry if it's too vague as I'm trying to preserve anonmity.

I've recently started working in a new place - it's an accommodation-type establishment with a communal area. Today, a new worker arrived from a country on the greenlist, i.e., their flight landed in Ireland today and they took public transport to arrive to the place where I work. I had found out yesterday that this person, let's call them X, was potentially coming - this was then confirmed today after I started my shift.

X is going to quaratine at the workplace for two weeks (live on-site), but the manager, let's call them Y, is going to allow them to work from tomorrow.

When I found out yesterday that X was potentially coming, I expressed my concerns to Y that this shouldn't be happening due to contact with other staff (including myself) as well as the public that come into this establishment. Y didn't know what to say and decided to check with other managment.

Fast forward to today and I asked Y in passing if it had been sorted, and I was then told that X was coming that very day, i.e., today. I was quite frustrated with this as obviously my concerns were not taken into consideration.

X then arrives and Y is there to greet them. X will stay in their own room and have their own bathroom, will always wear a mask when in the communal area, and disinfect areas after touching them. As Y was explaining about what X would be doing, I decided to interject. I had been looking at the HSE website on what those coming into Ireland from a non-greenlist country could and could not do, and the first one was, of course, 'do not work;.

I pointed this out to be told by X, and backed up by Y, that X wrote on the Covid contact form that X had come to work in Ireland, which was approved by customs/immigration. They both believed that because of this, X could start work immediately but the work is non-essential and X is supposed to restrict their movements for two weeks.

Y wasn't too happy with me that I raised these concerns today but what I want to know if others on here think I have overreacted? Personally, I wanted X to self-isolate for two weeks away from the workplace (as X will be living on site) and then there would be no problem for X to come and work with us once the fortnight had passed. But now that won't be the case.

Any thoughts? Sorry if it comes across as too vague to follow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Today, a new worker arrived from a country on the greenlist,

If they've come from a country on ghe Green list, there is no problem. The green list is of places that aren't required to self isolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If they've come from a country on ghe Green list, there is no problem. The green list is of places that aren't required to self isolate.

OP here again.

I wrote the message quite late and evidently left out the most important word.

It should have been, their country is not on the green list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Today, a new worker arrived from a country on the greenlist
    I had been looking at the HSE website on what those coming into Ireland from a non-greenlist country could and could not do, and the first one was, of course, 'do not work

Can you clarify if you meant to say X is from a greenlist or non-greenlist country?

If it's greenlist, you're being unreasonable. If it's non-greenlist, your boss is being unreasonable.

Advertisement