Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any issues around Sally Gap lately?

Options
  • 30-07-2020 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Taking tomorrow off work to do abit of cycling up around Sally gap. The thought of trouble never crossed my mine until a friend of mind passed a remark about isolated cyclists being targeted!

Any tips, advice, roads to avoid ?

If you're up that way tomorrow and you see a lad with a paranoid stare looking over his shoulder every 2 seconds, that's likely me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Reminds me of a trip i took on a train years ago when i was a student. the conductor on the train told us to beware of Thieves on the train!. I didn't sleep all night . Naturally Nothing happened and we were fine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

So many cyclists and hikers out and about these days you'd do well to find yourself isolated on the Sally gap. Personally, I wouldn't be too worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

smacl wrote: »
    So many cyclists and hikers out and about these days you'd do well to find yourself isolated on the Sally gap. Personally, I wouldn't be too worried.

Yeah, that's my recollection from the last time I was up there (it's been a couple of years), plenty of folk around.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 rjr2

I’ve been up there a few times in the last fortnight and never think anything of it. There’s always someone around, cyclists, locals or tourists etc. and occasionally even the Gardaí

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Noticed that the Gardai seem to be fairly active around there the last few times I've been up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Wicklow Co Co have resurfaced the road from Sally Gap towards Manor Kilbride as far as the first Liffey bridge. Lots of loose chippings but that was a few weeks ago - hopefully the chippings have been swept.

Take care if you're descending that way. Hopefully that'll be your biggest concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Survived it anyway. Went from Marlay park, up Cruagh, Feather beds, Sally gap, up past lough tay then back via Enniskerry and Stepaside to Marlay park.

Was nice and quiet with very little car traffic. Have to say it was a pleasure not having to deal with any tour buses up around Lough Tay. A few cyclists out, not many.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

jon1981 wrote: »
    Survived it anyway. Went from Marlay park, up Cruagh, Feather beds, Sally gap, up past lough tay then back via Enniskerry and Stepaside to Marlay park.

Was nice and quiet with very little car traffic. Have to say it was a pleasure not having to deal with any tour buses up around Lough Tay. A few cyclists out, not many.

Was up there this evening after work, first time up Kippure in yonks, lovely out and just enough cars that I wouldn't consider it too isolated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Loads of cars and cyclists today. Had a Garda car go by at one point too and right behind 4 boy racer type cars (all UK reg) probably cursing their luck / timing for being their.*

Or maybe not. Only issue was woefully inconsiderate parking as it was fairly swamped

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

Weepsie wrote: »
    Loads of cars and cyclists today. Had a Garda car go by at one point too and right behind 4 boy racer type cars (all UK reg) probably cursing their luck / timing for being their.*

Or maybe not. Only issue was woefully inconsiderate parking as it was fairly swamped

As I descended past the Lough Brays from Sally Gap/Kippure a garda car was parked and ticketing a line of parked cars at the cottage on the turn into the Glencree valley. Cars were jammed up there at the time unable to move in either direction. Nice to be on the bike :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Enduro wrote: »
    As I descended past the Lough Brays from Sally Gap/Kippure a garda car was parked and ticketing a line of parked cars at the cottage on the turn into the Glencree valley. Cars were jammed up there at the time unable to move in either direction. Nice to be on the bike :)

Wonder if you were ahead of me then as I came across those cars and another jam not long after the Garda car passed me

Advertisement