Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Towing 2,500kg on electric or hybrid power

Options
  • 29-07-2020 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

What electric or hybrid options are there for towing 2,500kg? Is there anything available or likely to be on the market within the next 12 months?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Tesla model X, up to 2250kg

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jamfer

I should add ...that cost around €45 - €50k.

Are the Santa Fe or Sorento hybrids likely to keep the higher towing capacty of the current diesel models?

jamfer wrote: »
    I should add ...that cost around €45 - €50k.

Are the Santa Fe or Sorento hybrids likely to keep the higher towing capacty of the current diesel models?

Depends on which one you mean, I believe there will be mild hybrid and PHEV models.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,019 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Towing that amount puts a lot of strain on the powertrain compared to normal driving, as it at least doubles the consumption.

At least in Ireland you're legally limited to 80kph.

Consequently it's unlikely that you'll find something remotely reasonably priced that will do it in a way that doesn't make you feel like you're killing it.

The range will also be dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

A Model X pulling 750Kg box trailer with dogs and bikes in it consumes 33-36 kWh/100Km so you get about 200-225 Km total out of a car capable of 400Km.

I'm not sure what they can do with trailers etc long term to improve efficiency. I guess the Cybertruck or Rivian R1T will be very capable due to the battery size being well over 120kWh. But both are vapourwear for a few years yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭stesaurus

There was talk that the MG5 EV would have towing permitted but nothing has been confirmed yet. Due in the UK around October. That would be a really cheap €30-35k option on import

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭innrain

Ford Kuga PHEV has 2.1t vs 2.25t diesel version. But I don't think you're going to use the EV powertrain towing 2t, except maybe for braking.

I'm guessing the solution will be a trailer with its own motor and probably it's own battery.

innrain wrote: »
    Ford Kuga PHEV has 2.1t vs 2.25t diesel version. But I don't think you're going to use the EV powertrain towing 2t, except maybe for braking.

I'm guessing the solution will be a trailer with its own motor and probably it's own battery.

Or a diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jamfer

Indeed, so it'll have to be another Santa Fe 2.2 diesel then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

From https://www.whatcar.com/news/best-hybrid-and-electric-cars-for-towing/n19610#1
    Audi Q7 e-tron
    BMW X5 xDrive40e
    Porsche Cayenne e-Hybrid
    Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic

Dont think you would get any of them for less then 100k though

• Advertisement
Advertisement