Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bled a radiator last night and heating not working now

Options
  • 29-07-2020 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi. I bled a radiator last night when the heating was on. Today the heating isn't working. I'm guessing I caused an airlock or something. Are radiators not supposed to be bled when the heating is on? I have an outdoor Firebird Envirogreen. Does anyone know if I can fix this problem or would I need to call a plumber? When I turn the heating on now, I can hear gurgling like it's on but no radiator heats up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I did this before. Called a plumber out who told me I was supposed to open a water valve somewhere in the hot press when bleeding the radiator. I had left it closed and let too much water out of the system. He opened the valve and bled the system which fixed the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭newaccount2017

I just checked the hot press where all the heating stuff is and there's a dial with a black hand pointing to zero and a red hand pointing to 2.5. I wonder if that means anything.

I just checked the hot press where all the heating stuff is and there's a dial with a black hand pointing to zero and a red hand pointing to 2.5. I wonder if that means anything.

I have no idea. I just called a plumber as I knew I funked up. He told me exactly what I had done over the phone and he called out and fixed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Black dial indicates there's no water pressure in the heating system. You need to open that filling loop valve until there's pressure on the system, normally at least 1 bar for most boilers. I'm surprised so much pressure was lost by bleeding the radiator, do you have an expansion vessel?

https://www.google.com/search?q=expansion+vessel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭CoBo55

You’ve let the pressure out of the system which is indicated by the black hand, you need to find the water filler and let water into the system until it’s showing about 1 bar when it’s cold. The red hand is just a marker you can move by turning the outside surround of the gauge.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I have one of those expansion vessels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭jimf

its also possible you have tripped the high limit stat on your boiler

as advised above already you need to bring the system up to I bar pressure on the black hand then bleed your rads until you have water from them

check pressure again and adjust back up to .75 to 1 bar pressure

https://heatingpartswarehouse.co.uk/product/imit-tlsc-dual-thermostat/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8ena65_z6gIVGODtCh08fQm4EAQYASABEgK_rvD_BwE

this is a pic of your boiler stat unscrew the little black cap and press button underneath to reset hl stat

TheChizler wrote: »
    Black dial indicates there's no water pressure in the heating system. You need to open that filling loop valve until there's pressure on the system, normally at least 1 bar for most boilers. I'm surprised so much pressure was lost by bleeding the radiator, do you have an expansion vessel?

CoBo55 wrote: »
    You’ve let the pressure out of the system which is indicated by the black hand, you need to find the water filler and let water into the system until it’s showing about 1 bar when it’s cold. The red hand is just a marker you can move by turning the outside surround of the gauge.

I agree with these 2 lol

TheChizler wrote: »

possibly low anyway before he bled it

you would think 1 rad been bled wouldn't cause the issue

jimf wrote: »
    its also possible you have tripped the high limit stat on your boiler

as advised above already you need to bring the system up to I bar pressure on the black hand then bleed your rads until you have water from them

check pressure again and adjust back up to .75 to 1 bar pressure

https://heatingpartswarehouse.co.uk/product/imit-tlsc-dual-thermostat/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8ena65_z6gIVGODtCh08fQm4EAQYASABEgK_rvD_BwE

this is a pic of your boiler stat unscrew the little black cap and press button underneath to reset hl stat

I just checked and I don't seem to have that boiler stat. I'm going to take a few photos of what I have and upload them. Thanks everyone for the help so far.

• Advertisement

These are the pics I took:
    https://imgur.com/a/5GWrDr4

I just checked and I don't seem to have that boiler stat. I'm going to take a few photos of what I have and upload them. Thanks everyone for the help so far.

that stat will be out at your boiler

that stat will be out at your boiler

You were right. I found it outside when I opened up the boiler. I unscrewed the black cap and pressed the button underneath but nothing happened.

The heat is working now although the bar is still at 0. I don't know what happened but thank you everyone, it'll keep me going til I call the plumber. I don't trust it anymore though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

The heat is working now although the bar is still at 0. I don't know what happened but thank you everyone, it'll keep me going til I call the plumber. I don't trust it anymore though :(

Have you a hot press or similar area with all your pipes?

it sounds like your boiler etc is ok

your system is low and has no water to circulate around to the rads

your boiler is getting up to temp and cutting out until you sort the pressure you wont be able to run the heat

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Have you a hot press or similar area with all your pipes?

Yeah, I have a hot press with all the pipes, they're in this picture:
    https://imgur.com/a/5GWrDr4

it sounds like your boiler etc is ok

your system is low and has no water to circulate around to the rads

your boiler is getting up to temp and cutting out until you sort the pressure you wont be able to run the heat

What's weird is that my hot water in the kitchen sink tap just dribbles out at times. I've been meaning to call a plumber and get all of these issues fixed but now I'm thinking that there's a connection between that and my central heating. The bathroom taps are fine, it's just the kitchen sink hot water tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

B67-BAC0-B-3793-4120-8465-66210-D426-EFF.jpg

See the black knob to the left, pointing downwards?

Yeah, should I turn it? When the heating is on?

• Advertisement

I’m not a doctor, but I’d turn it while the heating is off.

I turned it earlier when the heating was off but it didn't seem to do anything to the black pressure gauge, that was still at zero. So I just readjusted the black knob back to the way it was first then.

You may need to wait for it to go above zero. You should also be able to hear water moving through.

Ok, I'll try that in the morning. Thanks for your help, much appreciated. I'm afraid to try it now because the heat is working and I want to heat the house as much as possible now in case it konks again.

It’s a bit silly running it when you know it’s got low pressure.

when you pressed the little button at the boiler earlier had you the heating turned on inside at timer

colm_mcm wrote: »
    B67-BAC0-B-3793-4120-8465-66210-D426-EFF.jpg

See the black knob to the left, pointing downwards?

I had the black knob loosened today for a few hours but it made no difference to the pressure gauge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Should only be for a few seconds, never leave it open unattended. Did you open it all the way? You should be able to hear water flowing and the pressure should shoot up

those valves can go faulty

if you overfill the system your safety valve will pop

time for a plumber me thinks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

The lock nut can be slackened and the adjusting spindle screwed down clockwise very very slowly with the black knob open, if no rise in pressure then either no or low mains pressure available, or maybe supply is from the cold water storage tank which should still give ~ 0.5 bar, ensure black knob closed afterwards before leaving as advised above.

Advertisement