Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on not getting too hammered

Options
  • 29-07-2020 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭

Hello

Im meeting a few friends next month for a few jars. I'm on mental health meds and have an important event a few days after so I don't want a 3-day hangover.

Do you have any advice on how to approach this? I do want to have a few beers and enjoy myself

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hello

Im meeting a few friends next month for a few jars. I'm on mental health meds and have an important event a few days after so I don't want a 3-day hangover.

Do you have any advice on how to approach this? I do want to have a few beers and enjoy myself

Thanks in advance!
    Look at the non-alcohol options so have your few beers first and then switch.

Water in between pints keeps me on my limits even on a long night.

I also have a bottle of water with baraca in it at the side of the bed for during the night.

Im a light drinker and a messy drunk so that's how I avoid too much

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Erdinger Weißbier Alkoholfrei :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Hello

Thanks in advance!

Pace yourself and be sensible like an adult?

Hello

Thanks in advance!

Mental health meds and alcohol do not mix.

My best mate was on anti anxiety meds. This is a guy with the tolerance for alcohol of ten russian miners. Out with him one night and he has hammered after two drinks.

I'd highly suggest you abstain on that night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Erdinger Weißbier Alkoholfrei :)

Tastes of bananas. But only when it’s suggested to you. Sorry, if it hadn’t been suggested to you before.

Not a problem if you really like bananas.

endacl wrote: »
    Tastes of bananas. But only when it’s suggested to you. Sorry, if it hadn’t been suggested to you before.

Not a problem if you really like bananas.
    No bother. Some people stick some lime in their bottle of beer so there's be nothing weird with a banana sticking out of the bottle of Erdinger :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Just have 1 or 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Tell the mates ahead of time of the situation, so they can keep you on the staright and narrow so to speak and not put pressure on you.

Alternate between a beer and an alcohol-free beer / shandy / soft drink so you don't consume as much alcohol.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Pace yourself and be sensible like an adult?

Thanks for your advice :/

I was just wondering what people's strategies are when it comes to having a good night out without the hangover

I guess I'll alternate between alcohol free/water and have maybe 3 beers

The problem is I haven't seen these guys in years so they'll want a long catch up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Last time I drank on mental health meds, I woke up in hospital.

Seriously, it's not worth it. They massively lower your tolerance. I cannot stress this enough.

The problem is I haven't seen these guys in years so they'll want a long catch up
    What I've found in the past is that when I need to go easy on the booze and the others around me are well oiled, I find them less entertaining and usually end up heading off early.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's some 0.5% options around now that actually look and taste like beer; Open Gate Pure Brew or Brewdog Nanny State have relatively good availability.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Hello

Thanks in advance!

Could you not just abstain? Seems like the simplest solution here.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Thanks for your advice :/

I was just wondering what people's strategies are when it comes to having a good night out without the hangover

I know his comment looked cheeky but he has a point. Can you not just set yourself a limit and stick to it? Part of going out is knowing your limit and not letting things get out of hand. Is it your own willpower you are concerned about or your friends pressuring you ?

eviltwin wrote: »
    I know his comment looked cheeky but he has a point. Can you not just set yourself a limit and stick to it? Part of going out is knowing your limit and not letting things get out of hand. Is it your own willpower you are concerned about or your friends pressuring you ?

Friends pressure to spend time together

What I've found in the past is that when I need to go easy on the booze and the others around me are well oiled, I find them less entertaining and usually end up heading off early.

HJ16.gif

Friends pressure to spend time together

They was a Time in my 20s when the group would be at me all night to drink more, have a shot, stay out. Ruined my nights with the pressure.

I'm not sure if it was bad drunk niner making too many appearances or just growing up but now they know, I have a limit and when it's reached, it's bus time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Tell them u don't bother much with it now and you'll be heading off early. 90% of human adults understand::that could be for numerous reasons...the other 10% can go _____ and keep living in teenage/early 20s alco crap.

Or say you're on antibiotics and can't mix it with drink. Cue 30 jokes about you having covid, but most people over the age of about 24 will understand.

If you don't want to do that, for a satisfying drink when out that you can drink slowly go for rockshandy or cidona. With rockshandy, you can tell the one, because there's always one, its vodka and orange, or with cidona, it looks like cider.

But yeah, as another poster said, if they are getting hammered, but you're staying dry, i predict you'll be bored by about 9.30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Tell the mates ahead of time of the situation, so they can keep you on the staright and narrow so to speak and not put pressure on you.

Alternate between a beer and an alcohol-free beer / shandy / soft drink so you don't consume as much alcohol.

This,

In addition I’d check with your GP re: the suitability to mix those meds and alcohol.

If ‘some’ alcohol is ok by the GP... you could always do what I used to find helpful when I was doing an early start at 7am which was start on soft drinks then go on pints... a lot easier to go from soft drinks to two or three pints than the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Not sure how mature your friends are and how you cope with peer pressure, I hope they have enough cop on to let you go at it at your own pace.

I can't speak about being on meds but I know that if you have your heart set on having a few beers, make sure to drink loads of water, at least a pint for every 2 drinks. It'll keep you relatively sober and it makes all the difference hangover wise.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm just going to stick to 0% beers for the night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

This works for me - interspace a lucozade every now and them in your rounds, every 4th pint or so. Last drink lucozade. Stops you being dehydrated and keep blood sugar levels up - no banging headache next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

My best mate was on anti anxiety meds. This is a guy with the tolerance for alcohol of ten russian miners. Out with him one night and he has hammered after two drinks.

I think the above is the best option to take.
    I have friends who are on mental health meds,.and there never right after a few drinks, onein particular gets severe bouts if depression for days after.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I’ve been struggling with my tolerance for a while as one I’ll drink 6 pints and be fine and next time not so much but definitely water between pints and just taking it easy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Drink slowly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

I presume he was on benzos? Yea they have a synergistic effect when combined with alcohol.

Lowers your tolerance to the ****ing ground. Also dangerous in the sense that you might die from respiratory depression.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Hello

Thanks in advance!

Drink long neck bottles.

Don't get into big rounds.

Drink at your own pace.

Have a taxi booked for a sensible hour (or pretend you do)

• Advertisement

Drink long neck bottles.

Don't get into big rounds.

Drink at your own pace.

Have a taxi booked for a sensible hour (or pretend you do)

Thanks that's good advice for the future, I'll be sticking to 0% beers for this occasion.

Advertisement