Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mother's friend got a home charger installed €€€€€?

Options
  • 29-07-2020 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

She paid €5,000 to have it installed and has to pay a yearly fee. What happened?

She lives on a typical Irish estate street with houses all around. I don't know her personally so I didn't ask. I'm just curious what this fee might be. I'm random guessing she was sold a 3-phase home charger and told she'll need to get a wire run to the house where they had to use machines to drag up her driveway for the wire plug box etc. Is this where €5,000 fee came from, would you think? And the yearly fee some kind of commercial 3-phase malarkey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭listermint

you will have to ask her....

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irelandjnr

listermint wrote: »
    you will have to ask her....

Maybe. Unless someone here has an idea. I'd like to respect her privacy. I heard another friend of a friend who had the same fee, apparently. I'd love to get to the bottom of this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

irelandjnr wrote: »
    Maybe. Unless someone here has an idea. I'd like to respect her privacy. I heard another friend of a friend who had the same fee, apparently. I'd love to get to the bottom of this nonsense.

Will to get to the bottom of it you'd have to ask them, not us.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If you are not willing to ask you mother's friend about the details we won't be able to provide any insight or advice.
    I'm going to close the thread, as it will just be baseless speculation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The story is nonsense. Friend of a friend nonsense.
    I don’t know one single person who paid that u less they got 3 phase cable run to their home and they would have been aware of the costs before agreeing to it.

An EV charger at home is a glorified outdoor socket. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,978 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Indeed Gumbo, yet people pay €15k for a basic PV installation that should cost no more than €5k. Plenty of rip-off merchants out there. Beware.

unkel wrote: »
    Indeed Gumbo, yet people pay €15k for a basic PV installation that should cost no more than €5k. Plenty of rip-off merchants out there. Beware.

I know I know, maybe I should word it not so harsh as it is possible people are getting scammed by it.

OP, try get some details and post them up and we give an honest opinion.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Who would pay 5k for anything without getting a second quote/opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sound like anti-EV balls to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Out of interest, what is the typical price for a home EV charging point?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Out of interest, what is the typical price for a home EV charging point?

Most around 1k now with 600 back on grant. That will include a charger like Zappi

Pure rip off even at that price but what can you do.....SEAI gratn system is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Most around 1k now with 600 back on grant. That will include a charger like Zappi

Pure rip off even at that price but what can you do.....SEAI gratn system is a joke

Thank you for letting me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Sounds like BS but scammers take advantage of people when there is a lack of understanding of a subject, whatever the subject.

The problem is not pricing around with different companies These guys will try their luck. So it was mentioned about Solar PV. I priced around. Then I was recommended a company from my brother, who was given this name through a scheme he is involved with. So loads of people getting recommendation

Get this lad on phone, knew straight off he was pure chancer. Anyway told him what I would pay and told him exact system. "Oh sure I couldn't get the panel out of the shed for that price". I said ok thank and went to hang up. He went on about how I must be getting a sh*t battery and his was better. Asked him to explain why his was better. Nothing. Then he said the panels where no goodm, I asked what efficiency was his panels, Nothing

So I just said, what will you do it for, 15k. Pure gangsters.

So could she have paid 5k. Certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

If there is any truth in this, the yearly charge could be the PSO levy for a 3 phase connection which is €10.35 pm when the loading is less than 30kva.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Doesn't seem like the conversation is going anywhere, OP pm me if you gain more info that you are willing to share, but for now I'm closing the thread.

I made a recent post here suggesting my mother’s friend (friend M.) had to pay €5,000 to have a wall box charger installed in her driveway here in Waterford. I also mentioned she apparently had to pay some weird yearly fee. As I had never heard of any such crazy costs previously, I was wondering.

I was in a conversation with my mother and another friend of hers (friend L.) going along in a car when L. told me these curious details. I didn’t know the owner of this BEV so decided to ask here.

The update, then: it turns out that none of this information was true. Deducting the incentive she paid out a total of €700 and pays no yearly rental or subscription fee of any kind. She also did not like the car at first (it’s a Leaf) but now that she’s used it for about 5-8 weeks she said she likes it.

I mention because I was accused of fabricating the previous post to spread BEV misinformation, which is completely untrue. The post was locked before I had an opportunity to defend myself. All in all no big deal, just setting the record straight.

Lol just like electricians not certified to do certain work are still doing it and getting the signature off the guy who is certified for a couple of hundred quid, Ireland is a nation of scammers, doesn't matter what you try to get done.

Lol just like electricians not certified to do certain work are still doing it and getting the signature off the guy who is certified for a couple of hundred quid, Ireland is a nation of scammers, doesn't matter what you try to get done.

What are you saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

Ireland is a nation of scammers, doesn't matter what you try to get done.

Using that rationale, it would make you a scammer too....:P

Like all services there are good and bad, I know a few sparks that I would not let wire a plugtop, but genally speaking sparks are no better or wors than anybody else trying to make a living.

Saying that I am looking for the rigth one to install a charger myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I made a recent post here suggesting my mother’s friend (friend M.) had to pay €5,000 to have a wall box charger installed in her driveway here in Waterford. I also mentioned she apparently had to pay some weird yearly fee. As I had never heard of any such crazy costs previously, I was wondering.

I was in a conversation with my mother and another friend of hers (friend L.) going along in a car when L. told me these curious details. I didn’t know the owner of this BEV so decided to ask here.

The update, then: it turns out that none of this information was true. Deducting the incentive she paid out a total of €700 and pays no yearly rental or subscription fee of any kind. She also did not like the car at first (it’s a Leaf) but now that she’s used it for about 5-8 weeks she said she likes it.

I mention because I was accused of fabricating the previous post to spread BEV misinformation, which is completely untrue. The post was locked before I had an opportunity to defend myself. All in all no big deal, just setting the record straight.

So where did the nonsense story come from?

You do realise the story was fictional.

Gumbo wrote: »
    You do realise the story was fictional.

Not at the time I posted, however, it wouldn't change what I said about getting work done in Ireland.

NIMAN wrote: »
    So where did the nonsense story come from?

I have the same question.

I have the same question.

Did your mums friend by a new car? Maybe the wires got crossed between the €5,000 grant for the car and the charger grant.

Technically it's really expensive to get the home charger grant, you have to buy an EV, at least €3,500 based on a carzone search
    :D

liamog wrote: »
    Did your mums friend by a new car? Maybe the wires got crossed between the €5,000 grant for the car and the charger grant.

Technically it's really expensive to get the home charger grant, you have to buy an EV, at least €3,500 based on a carzone search
    :D

My mother's other friend told me the details (friend L.). And yes, maybe she got confused with the grant somehow. It wasn't helped by the fact that the women knew nothing about electric cars. I said to her that sounds wrong, but I will try to investigate further to see what I find out. Told her I had never heard of any such thing before.

And no, your information about the home charger grant isn't accurate. At least if I am to believe what she told us (friend M.). Said she paid €1,300 for the charger including installation and received a €600 grant from the government. So in total she paid €700. This is what she who got it installed said anyway.

My mother's other friend told me the details (friend L.). And yes, maybe she got confused with the grant somehow. It wasn't helped by the fact that the women knew nothing about electric cars. I said to her that sounds wrong, but I will try to investigate further to see what I find out. Told her I had never heard of any such thing before.

And no, your information about the home charger grant isn't accurate. At least if I am to believe what she told us (friend M.). Said she paid €1,300 for the charger including installation and received a €600 grant from the government. So in total she paid €700. This is what she who got it installed said anyway.

What the hell are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,170 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Junior is as confused as senior

She paid roughly the right amount for a home charger, maybe a little on the high side.

I was pointing out that the only way to get the home charger grant is to purchase an EV, no EV purchase = no grant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rinnin

My mother's other friend told me the details ..... Said she paid €1,300 for the charger including installation and received a €600 grant from the government. So in total she paid €700. This is what she who got it installed said anyway.

€700 is still a fair whack though. €1300 for installation. Are they not only a couple of hundred quid in the UK?

Advertisement