Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home gym in attic conversion?

Options
  • 28-07-2020 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Im looking to set up a home gym for myself here and had been wondering about the attic as a potential place. Would need to have the attic converted and all first, but the main thing on my mind is how much weight could the attic hold?

A machine Im considering is one of those multi-gym machines where you can have a bench press, cable cross over, squat rack, smyth machine and so on with pre-loaded weights, so a machine could weigh 600-700kgs with a barbell loaded with plates (thats the extreme end for this example/query)

I had a couple of guys out and they said it would be ok and can be done, however I dont think they got what I was referring to; not a simple bench press and dumbells, this would be a very very heavy weight in a static and compact area (not spread across the attic, located entirely in a single few square metres of space), and there would be other things up there too Im sure, so its not limited to the gym setup

I would love it, however my mind immediately conjures images of the ceiling collapsing and destroying half of the house and potential the neighbours :eek::o Would appreciate any insight into whether this is possible and something that can be done without issue or if this is not appropriate. The attic at the moment has trusses so will need steel beams installed if that makes a difference

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Before you get anymore guys out. you’ll be wanting a structural engineer to comment/design Structure for dead load proposed. No big Deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

BryanF wrote: »
    Before you get anymore guys out. you’ll be wanting a structural engineer to comment/design Structure for dead load proposed. No big Deal.

Thanks for the quick reply, I will do that

When you say no big deal, you mean a conversion being able to support such a static weight is no big deal, or engaging with a structural engineer?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Flex wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply, I will do that

When you say no big deal, you mean a conversion being able to support such a static weight is no big deal, or engaging with a structural engineer?

Both. One will solve the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Wailin

Due to the nature of attic conversions, if your house is the standard 2 storey 3/4 bed, I doubt a cable cross over machine will fit. The angle of the roof is very limiting for tall objects like wardrobes etc and gym equipment is no different.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You mention that the 700kg is an extreme example, it’s not really as when you are not using the weights on the machine, they are on the floor or rack in the room.

The attic floor will need to be specifically designed for this use, both structurally and aesthetically to limit movement and deflection as you use the gym thus reducing ongoing damage to the plasterboard ceilings in the rooms below.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I wonder in this attic conservation would you want something like a hardiefloor

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Paremon

I wonder in this attic conservation would you want something like a hardiefloor

Flex, how did you get on with the structural engineer?

Not to hijack this thread but to hopefully add to it.
    I'm in a similar boat. New build & i want to use the attic space for a gym & general living area. Attic came 'convertible' with 3/4 inch thick plywood/MDF subfloor over the joists I've just finished converting the attic via local builders however I stupidly didn't specify to them beforehand that I intended to use it in part as a gym. I mentioned it to the builder after the fact & said I'd be using free weights of about 100kg (not much but in hindsight it could get up to about 200kg) & he said 100kg would be fine & to use laminate instead of the vinyl I had intended using, to add some structure & prevent subfloor creaking.

I'll reach out to the builders again & a structural engineer (an engineer signed off the works as compliant but I think it was a paper exercise only). Hopefully it's not too late.

Separate from load, from a noise reduction perspective (both noise travelling down to the 1st floor beneath the attic room & noise within the attic room itself), a laminate retailer recommended the following layers from joists upwards;
    existing 3/4" mdf subfloor
    + fibre acoustic flooring
    + plywood (presumably 3/4" thick again)
    + acoustic laminate underlay (v thin)
    + laminate (eg 12mm)
    +gym mat (eg Prosource Puzzle Exercise Mat EVA Foam Interlocking Tiles or better)

Obviously these 4 layers on top of the existing subfloor would add load in themselves, before any gym equipment/weights are put on top, so ensuring load bearance is key.

Side question; IF the structural engineer confirms the existing structure is sound for my needs as regards load bearance, would the above layered approach achieve good noise reduction or is there a better way?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

IMO, ceilings will flex if you are using weights, free or otherwise.

for the math
    https://sciencing.com/calculate-force-falling-object-6454559.html

in addition the sound will travel throughout the house

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Paremon

IMO, ceilings will flex if you are using weights, free or otherwise.

for the math
    https://sciencing.com/calculate-force-falling-object-6454559.html

in addition the sound will travel throughout the original house

Thanks. I'll likely be speaking with the contractor who did the attic for the developer.

Re noise travel throughout house; the mentioned multilayered approach would not minimise that? If not, what approach would?

Advertisement