Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tooth Removal

Options
  • 28-07-2020 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I've just had my first consultation with the Orthodontist.

My aim was to get Invisalign to straighten my top and lower arches.

Unfortunately, He has recommended that I get a total of 4 teeth removed to make room for movement, and the old style braces as Invisalign is not an option for me.

Is removal of teeth for braces a common procedure? I'm not to keen to go that route as it seems quite a severe step.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

carzony wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I've just had my first consultation with the Orthodontist.

My aim was to get Invisalign to straighten my top and lower arches.

Unfortunately, He has recommended that I get a total of 4 teeth removed to make room for movement, and the old style braces as Invisalign is not an option for me.

Is removal of teeth for braces a common procedure? I'm not to keen to go that route as it seems quite a severe step.

Very commonly recommended and done...
    If you have crowding then it is one of the best/only ways to make space to align the teeth nicely....

Google non extraction orthodontics.... often ends in a goofy result as the teeth have to be pushed forward to gain the space to align them... lots of problems with this... stability, gum and bone health, aesthetic failure...

Ask your ortho opinion again and see....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Very commonly recommended and done...
    If you have crowding then it is one of the best/only ways to make space to align the teeth nicely....

Google non extraction orthodontics.... often ends in a goofy result as the teeth have to be pushed forward to gain the space to align them... lots of problems with this... stability, gum and bone health, aesthetic failure...

Ask your ortho opinion again and see....

Thanks...

I have arranged a consultation with another Ortho for next week.. Hopfully tooth extraction can be avoided somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Miharo

carzony wrote: »
    Thanks...

I have arranged a consultation with another Ortho for next week.. Hopfully tooth extraction can be avoided somehow.

If it's the upper jaw and crowding is because of a narrow jaw theres also the option of surgery to expand the jaw and make room for the teeth. Your orthodontist should be able to tell you if that's an option or not in your case.

Advertisement