Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV licence - no saorview box

Options
  • 28-07-2020 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys this is my first post here. If it's something that's already got an answer somewhere else sorry.

I was reading the requirements for a tv licence and it is if a television set is capable of decoding a signal. But as of 2012 analog signals are no longer available. So if we don't have a tv with an internal digital decoder does this mean we could potentially argue that the tv can't decode terrestrial signals?

Has anybody contested this?

I have respect for a paid television service. Honestly it won't break my heart if I need to pay the licence fee if it will mean RTE news doesn't turn into fox news. But any euros saved are also welcome.

Thanks ahead for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That won't be accepted I'm afraid as the TV is still capable of receiving signals if you connected a receiver/decoder to it.

I sympathise as I think it's ridiculous that we have to pay for something we may not be able to get or watch, but that's how it is unless you want to take your chances with inspectors.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The law is fairly straight forward on this 1
    If you have a TV, or equipment capable of receiving a television signal (using an aerial, satellite dish, cable or other means), you must have a TV licence. This applies even if the TV is broken, as it is considered capable of being repaired.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The broadcasting forum is probably a better place for these kind of questions by the way

Advertisement