Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lone Travelling

Options
  • 28-07-2020 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I would like to see more of this country as a non-Irish person. However, I tend to travel alone. Yes I know it doesn't sound fun to many people but life is too short to wait for someone else so that you can travel.

Any recommendations for places to visit as a non-Irish person using public transport? Hidden gems? Airbnbs? I fancy the rural areas so things like hikes, walking trails, castles and the like are very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

In my view, rural Ireland is impossible to see if you're relying on public transport.
    Either hire a car, get into cycling or make friends who can drive you.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Annie’s air b n b in Laois, loads of walking trails , a pool ðŸŠ*♂️ n their garden

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Get the train to some rural town like Dingle or Ennis. Into the pub, order a pint - to be drank outdoors, of course. Ask any locals you see what they recommend and if they know how to get there. They'll tell you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

It is possible to do some trips by public transport.
    Years ago I did all these (not sure what is currently operating with the Covid restrictions though):

day trips from Dublin:
    -Powerscourt (waterfall is very famous abroad and featuring in a lot of movies) , got there with Dublin Bus;
    -Glendalough by bus with St. Kevins Bus Service
    -Kilkenny by normal bus

-2/3 nights in Galway: first day, visiting Inishmore (Aran island) by ferry; second day, bus tour (I think it was with Lally) to Burren and Cliffs of Moher.

I believe there was also a Newgrange & Boyne Valley tour with Bus Éireann

Advertisement