Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoe fitting

Options
  • 28-07-2020 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. I'm having a bit of an issue with my current shoes (cheap and old) possibly making an existing problem worse to the point where I've had to see a consultant and have an MRI. So he said they issue is Morton's neuroma or Metatarsalgia. Both are very similar.
    I've changed all my other footwear over the last few months and it's given a good bit or relief but last week I hit cork for a staycation and clocked about 50k most mornings, it's the most I've done in about 6 months and holy Christ my foot is in bits. Can you guys or gals point me in the right direction or recommend a store that will do a proper fitting. I don't mind traveling but at this point I have to stop or get shoes that fit well

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭onlineweb

Hi folks. I'm having a bit of an issue with my current shoes (cheap and old) possibly making an existing problem worse to the point where I've had to see a consultant and have an MRI. So he said they issue is Morton's neuroma or Metatarsalgia. Both are very similar.
    I've changed all my other footwear over the last few months and it's given a good bit or relief but last week I hit cork for a staycation and clocked about 50k most mornings, it's the most I've done in about 6 months and holy Christ my foot is in bits. Can you guys or gals point me in the right direction or recommend a store that will do a proper fitting. I don't mind traveling but at this point I have to stop or get shoes that fit well

Most cycle shops should offer this service. You could try Cycle Superstore.

Cycling shoe size can be hit and miss.

I’m a size 9.5, however I take a size 10 in Giro and 11 in Shimano.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Can't help with a shop recommendation (I presume you should call the bigger shops like Wheelworx and Base2race and confirm that they have a decent selection of sizes and brands in stock, as many shops only keep a small range), but don't forget to remember what socks you're wearing - road shoes are generally stiff and have minimal insole padding, and I've found that if I wear thinnish socks on a longer ride, my feet get sore and a bit achy (in my case the metatarsals behind my little toe and back along that side of the foot).
    I now make a point of wearing slightly padded terry-towelling socks if it's a longer ride (> 2 hours) and never think about my feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I have the same issue with my right foot. I tend look for wide fitting shoes and don't over tighten them. Cleat position is even more important too. I use Keo pedal with Grey cleats which give a bit of "Float".

Spuik and Shimano both do wide fitting shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭park500

Pretty sure specialized do shoe fitting and customised foot beds. If you getting neuralgia then it’s the sole of your foot that’s the likely source.
    There based near city west
    I have tried the specialized insole with metatarsal button and they have made a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Type 17 wrote: »
    Can't help with a shop recommendation (I presume you should call the bigger shops like Wheelworx and Base2race and confirm that they have a decent selection of sizes and brands in stock, as many shops only keep a small range), but don't forget to remember what socks you're wearing - road shoes are generally stiff and have minimal insole padding, and I've found that if I wear thinnish socks on a longer ride, my feet get sore and a bit achy (in my case the metatarsals behind my little toe and back along that side of the foot).
    I now make a point of wearing slightly padded terry-towelling socks if it's a longer ride (> 2 hours) and never think about my feet.

Thanks. I'll give both a ring. I've decent short thick socks as my feet get cold pretty fast. I'm hoping someone in store with greater knowledge will have seen my issue before and could offer a shoe to suit

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I have the same issue with my right foot. I tend look for wide fitting shoes and don't over tighten them. Cleat position is even more important too. I use Keo pedal with Grey cleats which give a bit of "Float".

Spuik and Shimano both do wide fitting shoes.

I picked up my new bike two days before lockdown so they didn't have time to do a final fitting. Collect and run kinda thing. I'm going to book in for a full position/cleat fitting and set up when I go back for the 6 week checks. Must check out the keo pedal

park500 wrote: »
    Pretty sure specialized do shoe fitting and customised foot beds. If you getting neuralgia then it’s the sole of your foot that’s the likely source.
    There based near city west
    I have tried the specialized insole with metatarsal button and they have made a big difference.

I'm only 8 or 9 miles from them but I hadn't heard of them before. Thank, I'll try them first before heading back to the cycle superstore. Bought most of my bikes there but I often find when I'm buying gear they seem less interested In giving info and I have to get this right before the pain gets worse. Thank for your suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Thanks. I'll give both a ring. I've decent short thick socks as my feet get cold pretty fast. I'm hoping someone in store with greater knowledge will have seen my issue before and could offer a shoe to suit

Looking at the web for two issues that you mentioned it might be, it looks like one’s metatarsals are pinching the nerves, so you should ensure that any shoes that you choose are wide enough across the ball of the foot area.

Type 17 wrote: »
    Looking at the web for two issues that you mentioned it might be, it looks like one’s metatarsals are pinching the nerves, so you should ensure that any shoes that you choose are wide enough across the ball of the foot area.

That's the advice I got from the consultant out in the sports surgery clinic. If all else fails I'm looking at injections but I'd rather not go down that route just yet

Advertisement