Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Is there really going to be a FIT !!!???

  • 27-07-2020 4:15pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ lightson


    Its been going on for years now where everyone says there's going to be a feed in tariff.

    Is this really just wishful thinking or is there something solid to base this on?


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭ mike_2009


    It's always mentioned in list of thing sto do by the previous Government. Hopefully the Green party will get onto this as it's "promised" for 2021 and required by the EU by then. I'm not holding my breath as the utility companies have to get onboard and only 1 signed up to the previous scheme! So, hopefully next year but who knows...?! Smart meter rollout is playing into this though so that's a plus....


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭ KCross


    mike_2009 wrote: »
    It's always mentioned in list of thing sto do by the previous Government. Hopefully the Green party will get onto this as it's "promised" for 2021 and required by the EU by then. I'm not holding my breath as the utility companies have to get onboard and only 1 signed up to the previous scheme! So, hopefully next year but who knows...?! Smart meter rollout is playing into this though so that's a plus....

    Is this required or recommended?
    i.e. is it law somewhere?

    Any links?

    Unless its in law we will be waiting a few years.


  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ lightson


    I phoned SEAI just in case by some magic there had been some insight but no.
    It’s a key point in a lot of people’s decisions in getting PV as the last straw to seal the deal in that they think extra payback fit will come and has become a mantra.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭ KCross


    lightson wrote: »
    I phoned SEAI just in case by some magic there had been some insight but no.
    It’s a key point in a lot of people’s decisions in getting PV as the last straw to seal the deal in that they think extra payback fit will come and has become a mantra.

    I dont think anyone should get SolarPV on the strength of a FiT.

    Even if/when a FiT comes in it wont be big money. You need to self-consume. If you cant do that, dont get SolarPV. imo.


  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭ mike_2009


    Sent an email to Clare Daly our MEP and got a reply straight away as follows:

    "Thanks for getting in touch. Member States are required to transpose the recast Renewable Energy Directive (2018/2001) into national law by June 2021. In regard to feed-in tariffs, the Directive says:
    ' Member States shall ensure that renewables self-consumers, individually or through aggregators, are entitled... (d) to receive remuneration, including, where applicable, through support schemes, for the self-generated renewable electricity that they feed into the grid, which reflects the market value of that electricity and which may take into account its long-term value to the grid, the environment and society.'"

    There's the mid 2021 date anyway. We'll see if the current Government is serious or not by then. Also in the reply was this:

    "A PQ from 2018 has some information on the implementation of this aspect in Ireland, see here. Hope that's of some help."


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭ KCross


    mike_2009 wrote: »
    Sent an email to Clare Daly our MEP and got a reply straight away as follows:

    "Thanks for getting in touch. Member States are required to transpose the recast Renewable Energy Directive (2018/2001) into national law by June 2021. In regard to feed-in tariffs, the Directive says:
    ' Member States shall ensure that renewables self-consumers, individually or through aggregators, are entitled... (d) to receive remuneration, including, where applicable, through support schemes, for the self-generated renewable electricity that they feed into the grid, which reflects the market value of that electricity and which may take into account its long-term value to the grid, the environment and society.'"

    Thanks. That directive was what I was looking for.


    The full text is here for those with a few hours to spare! Article 21 is the aforementioned piece...

    https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:32018L2001&from=EN#d1e2850-82-1


  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭ mike_2009


    Nice!
    Ok as long as you don't intend exporting over 30kW - is that what you were checking for your big roof?!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭ BoardsMember


    KCross wrote: »
    I dont think anyone should get SolarPV on the strength of a FiT.

    Even if/when a FiT comes in it wont be big money. You need to self-consume. If you cant do that, dont get SolarPV. imo.

    Does self consume have a technical meaning? If not, surely all people are self consuming and primarily installing PV for that purpose? ie to use themselves the electricity their PV are generating.

    Not being funny here, new to this.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭ KCross


    Does self consume have a technical meaning? If not, surely all people are self consuming and primarily installing PV for that purpose? ie to use themselves the electricity their PV are generating.

    Not being funny here, new to this.

    What I mean is to self-consume the "majority" of it. What the majority represents depends on what you paid for it.

    For example... if you are out of the house all day while the sun is shining you are only self-consuming a tiny proportion of what you are producing and hence its lost to you. That wont make any financial sense.

    You need to self-consume the "majority" of it to make it pay for itself.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,875 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel


    And technically you can not be paid a FIT unless you have an electricity meter that can measure export. You can pay the ESB to have one installed (about €300 last time I looked) but this is madness as that would equal your FIT payment for the next 5 years or so to come, only a fool would do this. Alternatively you will have to wait until your house gets a smart meter fitted (for free). This will happen, but it is the ESB we are talking about here. They move slower than a snail.

    "Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭ KCross


    unkel wrote: »
    Alternatively you will have to wait until your house gets a smart meter fitted (for free). This will happen, but it is the ESB we are talking about here. They move slower than a snail.

    I think the smart meter rollout is to occur on a phased basis across every connection in the country between now and 2024... it has already started with 500,000 to be done per year, so its a rather large task!

    As you said, it is "free" and you should wait for that before trying to avail of any potential FiT that gets introduced.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭ ethernet


    KCross wrote: »
    As you said, it is "free" and you should wait for that before trying to avail of any potential FiT that gets introduced.

    Are we sure about that? I thought they were working it into bills to recoup the money.

    "According to the CER, electricity customers will pay around €5.50 extra on their bill annually over a 20 year period."
    (https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0920/906377-smart-electricity-meters/)


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭ KCross


    ethernet wrote: »
    Are we sure about that? I thought they were working it into bills to recoup the money.

    "According to the CER, electricity customers will pay around €5.50 extra on their bill annually over a 20 year period."
    (https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0920/906377-smart-electricity-meters/)

    Well, of course, we are paying for it indirectly. Thats why i put it in quotes. Its costing something like €1bn... yes, billion!

    Whether you like it or not you will be getting a smart meter over the next 4 years so its free from that perspective.


  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭ phester28


    The literature that came with the smart meter said it was free. So direct charge. But they will get their pound of flesh


Advertisement