Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NeoGeo MV1B issues

Options
  • 27-07-2020 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Hey guys!

Long time since last posting here! Pretty much bought a cabinet and dipped out of the hobby for a while :D

I was recently given 2 fixer upper MV1B boards to try my hand at. Wouldn’t say I’m an expert solderer, but could manage if I know what the issue is!

One is missing all but one of the soldered on RAM, the backup battery and the bios chip, so let’s not start there :D.

The other seems like it’s only missing the same Bios chip. Seems like a previous owner lifted it, damaging some of the pads in the process if the attached pictures are to go by.

I plugged it in to the cabinet and tried to start it up in test mode, but the attached image of the garbled screen mess was what greeted me.

I know it’s a tough call, especially when someone else has been trying to fix it, but was just hoping to get your expert opinions before I get started on it.

Is it likely that replacing the missing Bios chip could sort the current issue I’m seeing?

Cheers!

Comments

Can't help on the MVS but I think you bought that cabinet off a friend of mine in Kildare.
    Good to see its still going strong.
    I remember the missing washer on joystick 2.
    I should of bought that myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Get a NeoBIOSmasta adapter, it plugs onto the CPU and has a DIP socket for the BIOS chip.

I'd get the latest UNIBIOS for it, you can skip past calendar errors that'll hang the original BIOS, also there is a diag BIOS if you need to debug further.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Can't help on the MVS but I think you bought that cabinet off a friend of mine in Kildare.
    Good to see its still going strong.
    I remember the missing washer on joystick 2.
    I should of bought that myself!

I most certainly did :D

Still going strong, Vertical 60 in 1 is still in there, as well as a Taito Football game I found hidden up the side of it when I opened it up at home!

I’ll keep you in mind if the mood hits to ever move it on!

Get a NeoBIOSmasta adapter, it plugs onto the CPU and has a DIP socket for the BIOS chip.

I'd get the latest UNIBIOS for it, you can skip past calendar errors that'll hang the original BIOS, also there is a diag BIOS if you need to debug further.

Cheers for the reply!

I wasn’t aware that was an option! I had found a mod where they’d soldered wires to the original pads to a socket and socketed the bios, but with the dodgy pads I’m sure it would be hit or miss!

Will take a look in to it!

Just on the NeoBIOSmasta, some of the mods I found had you lifting legs on the soldered on Bios chip to use. Would there be an issue with it possibly not working because there’s no Bios chip on this board, or is there another version of it that just connects to the CPU as you mentioned and doesn’t need the original Bios at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Lifting the legs is to disable the onboard bios rom, it's not going to be used at all so needs to be disabled otherwise it would conflict with the new socketed bios chip.

Lifting the legs is to disable the onboard bios rom, it's not going to be used at all so needs to be disabled otherwise it would conflict with the new socketed bios chip.

Gentleman! Cheers for the input!

Time to do a bit of shopping!

Advertisement