Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing tractor and vrt

Options
  • 26-07-2020 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, I was wondering, l bought a tractor from somebody in the Republic who owned it a couple of years but never registered it, what is the best procedure for paying vrt,I have the full logbook from the UK, is a receipt from the man I bought it off sufficient? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭Dickie10

you could be in trouble, its so much a month/every 30 days over the time its brought in , i think it could be 100 euro/month. i registered mine last sunday it was brought in sept 19. yer man in vrt said change the dats to early this month, he was exremely sound. very lucky i was. look into it quick enough because when Britain are totally gone from EU you migt get done on VAT in republic on it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Isn’t the VRT €200, can’t see the fines being too severe?

Either way, you can just say you bought it in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jwc2

Yes,it's 200euro to vrt, can depend on the person behind the account,about when it entered Republic, I was told to play ignorance and stupidity, just bring the receipt from the man I bought it off. But the logbook says a different name. I'll try and book it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Isn’t the VRT €200, can’t see the fines being too severe?

Either way, you can just say you bought it in NI.

The fine is the same rate as any revenue fine for unpaid taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Its a nightmare system. There was a chance years back to get imported tractors cleared without hassle but that has long since passed. I was in the same boat and ended up just trading the Tractor instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

Would it make any difference to the op that he didn’t import the tractor himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

K9 wrote: »
    Would it make any difference to the op that he didn’t import the tractor himself.

Im honestly not to sure, but I guess if you could prove when you purchased the tractor with copy of payment method, bank statement to prove same and the date and owner changed on the tractor log book around the same time you would have a case but worth a call to the vrt section to verify

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

Maximum pay for imported tractor is 200€?

Emissions charges apply to tractors ?

Hi rang vrt this morning,to make an appointment they don't have an issue one man's name on a logbook,and a receipt proof of purchase from another man just the date of arrival in the Republic,they don't look at the name on the logbook.
    But the main question is arrival and proof of arrival, it has been in the republic for over a year. That's how they make extra money!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s usually a percentage of the OMSP for other categories.

do they even have OMSPs for tractors?

What is the usual rate for unpaid taxes?

• Advertisement

I think vrt.ie,has a vrt penalties section, category C includes tractors,lorries, HGVs and buses, €100 over 30 days, €200 for 6-months... hopefully I'll get it sorted without having to pay penalties. Couldn't get a link sorted to the website sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

you could if you have the uk papers send it to swansea as an export . Its exported so theyll care less

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DWMT

Jwc any update on how this turned out for you? I am in the same situation

Hi DWMT, I got it all sorted on the first appointment thankfully, I had the bankers draft photocopied,
    I had tractor insurance cover note with me that stated the date I changed it over and I had a receipt from him.... his brother lived in Northern Ireland with an address!!
    The only problem i had was finding the engine number on the , during the appointment, luckily one of the NCT mechanics helped me find it.

Advertisement